Punctuation Kissing

Well, the new blessing has been posted on the home page of our website.  It addresses the twin issues of punctuation kissing and punctuation prayers.

Megan still has not gotten over my unusual position on the twin topics, and is on tip toe with expectation to see if you all think it is as wild an idea as she does.

And no, I have no intention of staying up all night to approve your comments as they come in.  For those of you in the other times zones, write prolifically and when I get up in the morning, I will approve the batch.

Arthur at home March 29th

This entry was posted in Perspectives, The Culture. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Punctuation Kissing

1. Deborah says:

i have had lots of interesting thoughts in response to your blog on what you call punctuation kisses/prayers i understand the viewpoint you are making and respect that however would like to comment that without punctuation and the rules of grammar and capitalization the written word turns into one run on sentence without structure. As you can see in the above portion of my note, I deliberately left out the punctuation to make the visual point. So too, with the purpose of prayers and kisses in our lives. The Lord did say that we were to give thanks at all times and in my view this includes praying before and after mealtimes and in other circumstances and places. We need to be aware that these prayers are genuine and heartfelt and not just perfunctionary obligations to get out of the way. So too with kisses, beginning and end of day etc. We can’t live in extreme passion ALL the time, that is why there are varying degrees of passion and desire, different times and circumstances call for different heart responses. Different colours and varying shades of tints, black and white, fragrances and musical notes all created to give variety and expression to the love the Father has for us in different degrees and our love offered back to Him. I personally can’t live in the intense places for very long, they tend to drain me and I long for quiet times, the steady security of stability. I can’t live in this place all the time either and have times when I long for and crave excitment, intensity and intimacy with passion. I praise the Lord that He has created such variety and will continue with punctuation kisses, punctuation prayers as well as passionate intimacy with Him in the appropriate place and timing for such things.

Thank you for offering such thought provoking views 🙂
    May the Lord continue to bless you and keep you. May you be challenged and well grounded in the Kingdom projects He has placed before you.

2. Irene says:

Yeah, good point about prayers we offer “just because it’s time”. May all our prayers be heart connected! I DO like punctuation however because it helps the readability and flow of language, and punctuation kisses from my husband might be quick but I value them because of the deeper heart and years of meaning they carry with them. I’ll take all I can get!

What if you substituted “winking” for the kissing illustration? Would it be fresher, a different way of conveying delight and still carry enough of a passionate glimpse of our heart to the other person. Personally it’s part of my language with God when He completely takes me off guard with a real-life example of some parable or principle. We wink. Delight.

But I guess your point is– the expected routine can slip into rote expectation, somewhat clouding our eyes to the real treasure we have. Thanks for the reminder!

3. Jacq Wallace says:

I listened to the blessing and thought, What’s the purpose of the kiss? Then remembered how my husband use to avoid kissing me because he thought I would want more…too passionate. Needless to say, I felt unloved and the land was reflecting that in a bad way, it was obvious the land was spewing me out because of it. I heard your teaching and you said, ‘what would happen to the land if unloved women began speaking out how much Jesus loved them’ and that’s what I did. I poured all my passion into him in my prayer closet and he met me as the Lover of my soul, even kissed the palms of my upraised hands and the land responded. No one can match Him in passion and His desire of me… I just realised why that friend was trying to control me because as a worship leader she is not living it on a daily basis and my passionate kissing is confronting and requires so much more….how dare anyone try to snuff out my passion for the King, when He loves my intensity of passion and my longing for intimacy, everytime I want to talk about Him he can hear how much he’s loved. I kiss Him often because I know He responds…Next time my friend you are confronted just remember it’s not about you, it’s about Him and I love Him and He loves me! He is mine!

4. Nerina Fourie says:

Talk about timing!

I turned 40 yesterday, the day you posted the blessing!

THIS makes me celebrate my KING, with passion!

5. Linda says:

I love how you think!!!! I wish I had a best friend who thought just like you.

I agree, I don’t care for punctuation prayers so much. I find myself praying less and having conversations with My Father.

Thanks for being vulnerable and sharing your true heart. You challenge me to think way outside the box and I love it. Can’t wait to hear what’s next.

6. Thanks for saying this, I receive and agree with it 100 %!!

7. Susan says:

I hate to disagree…well, I don’t really hate it, being RG of prophet, but I have to add my 2 cents. I actually really like punctuation kissing. From my husband, from my children and even from good friends. From my husband, I find it helps to keep the embers burning enough so that when the “big kiss” happens, it doesn’t need as much tending to get hot. A small peck from my kids is enough throughout the day to help me feel that they are special and connected to me and unique from the others. And from friends, it’s a layer of intimacy that I don’t share with others and that simple cheek kiss is enough to make it very clear to me that we share something deeper than I do with other aquaintances.

As for punctuation prayers…we would not say grace before meals for many years because it did feel religious, empty, irreverant. We have returned to blessing our food because we want to speak life back into it since our land has been so depleted of it, and our animals are not as healthy and life-giving as they should be. Passionate? No. Relevant? I believe so. And in the blessing, we feel very strongly to be thankful to the Provider of our food, and do acknowledge Him, even if only for a brief moment.

Like another poster, I think it has to do with the attitude of your heart. And, whether it’s your child, friend, spouse or God, you can never know where that semi-colon will lead until you read the whole article. You may find yourself savouring a moment worthy of exclamation!

8. Irina Rivera says:

I have a friend who I’m no longer in touch with. It’s been 8 years, but when I talk about her, which isn’t very often, I have a huge appreciation for what she said and for who she is. She left a mark on me and I’m never trite about it. I guess I respect her a lot. That experience is a good touch stone for me in what you’re saying. It shows me how unique she is and how much I appreciate her. This is really good.

9. Chandre says:

i love the end of the prayer addressing our responsibility to see to it that our soul responds, and preparing ourselves for intimacy…however wrt to punctuation kissing it may depend on culture. I do not come from an extreme kissing culture like South America/Italy etc. But growing up I would have to kiss my parents, aunts, uncles, people in church maybe too hello/goodbye…And over the past years, that has changed, and I can see that the level of intimacy between me and my parents have also decreased. While it was part of good manners to kiss my dad hello and goodbye growing up, it also softened the relationship, and not having it at all, not needing to hug or kiss when coming in, the relationship has even slipped into a deeper passiveness. Yes we have our moments of Hugs, and Sorries now or moment of passion (in a family sense) but they are way in between and I do believe they would have been more if there was the little punctuation kisses in between. I guess with regards to God its probably coming ready to church before those prayers, I do agree with God it shouldnt just be because it’s the thing we do. So on that note that is what I take, that I work at my soul, coming before him with passion and realness, but at the same time I think the daily routines (with right heart) also help keep a connection that builds up to more moments of passion.

10. Sandy Beach says:

WOW, right on the mark. It can be easy to fall into that trap. We are conditioned from kids to pray useless words and phrases as our daily obligation.
    Recently the “religious spirit” has been evident in a situation I am in and I have been reminded how it can be so easy to get into the trap of saying words just to do our daily duty. It feels slimy.
    Thank you again Arthur. More marriages would last if people got this principle as well. How can we expect anything passionate from God or our spouses but “lip” service if that is all we giving them?

Sandy

11. Lu-Ina says:

Thank goodness singles can have the passion with GOD. So good to know I’m not missing out on something! Everything is possible in Christ Jesus.

12. Tracy says:

Agreed! I have always found these kinds of prayers (and kissing) ritualistic and somewhat dismissive actually. It’s a bit like taking a journey and not remembering a thing that happened along the way. Optimum time with God for me would be akin to curling up on the sofa with a hot cup of tea and a scone and a good friend to chat to. We need to invite the awe and delight back into the everyday and commonplace things and even more so, into our time with Him.

13. Noeleen says:

You’re talking about initiation and response in relationship are you? I agree that passion is far superior to punctuation. Are you saying that you think that there is no place for people who are struggling to keep praying because they know it’s the right thing to do? Or do you think that sometimes the ‘passion’ is a negative thing? Like saying to Him ‘I’m desperate – I need to see that you’re somewhere in this with me’ If that’s where someone is then the decision to pray would sometimes be because they know that it’s what they need to do and not because they feel passionately in awe of God because of who he is. I know you’re encouraging nobility but is it not possible that God’s response sometimes makes the passion flow and therefore the punctuation prayer, while it is inferior, is not necessarily invalid – even if it does come out of duty or habit or a feeling of obligation because God is gracious and he works with us. I think our blindness to his longing for a deeper, more meaningful, more fruitful relationship with us does hurt him.

14. Lisa says:

Arthur,

The message certainly provided an insight into certain behaviours (of both men and women) that I have struggled to understand over the course of my life – in particular, how someone can say they care and then one rarely hears from them.

Not sure how anyone can presume to judge, based on quantitative analysis, the depth of someone else’s passion when expressed in a short ‘window’ of time. I understand your point – but I simply don’t agree that it applies in all, or even a majority, of cases.

Passion and care for others (and God) can (and I believe should) be expressed in a multitude of ways. Done so in brief moments of time – as well as deeper and longer moments – shows many facets of love and care for another.

Are you simply expressing a preference of what you believe to be most important – your preferred ‘love language’? Valid as that is – I simply do not agree that other forms of expression are, therefore, of less importance or significance. Likewise – the deepest, most voluminous, expression of passion can mask an insincere heart or motives.

So how can one tell based on size and quantity? Isn’t it the case that all forms or expression – when motivated by true passion and love – are valid?

15. Gail says:

I do think it’s always about the heart. Any prayer that is formalized obligation is empty. But not everything formalized is always empty.

I always find it interesting that one person can do something and it has great personal, connected-with-God meaning to them, while someone else to whom it has no heart meaning will look at that person doing their meaningful thing and say it’s a religious formality.

I clearly remember a lesson the Holy Spirit taught me when I was visiting a foreign church in a foreign culture. He explained that, because of how He made me, some things may be personally meaningless to me, but those things actually reflect some aspect of the heart of God that He shares with those who are designed to share that part of Him.

He showed me that for every behavior I think of as merely “religious,” (and which many people do as mere “religion”) someone is doing it in a meaningful way from an authentic heart of love for God, and God is expressing Himself back in that same language.

And then He kindly said in that inoffensive way only He can pull off, “You understand nothing; do not judge.”

BTW, I wouldn’t give up my outgoing and incoming “punctuation kisses” from my hubbie for all the world. I treasure each one. As well as the more interesting varieties.

I bless you, Arthur 🙂

16. Jane says:

Yes, yes, yes!!! Thank you for saying what I have buried deep inside. I don’t do blah, blah blah….

17. curt says:

Hi Arthur,

Never mind – I found the video clip. Sorry – I was expecting a written post!

I’m listening to it now – it’s thought provoking! And a good word for all of us.

Thnk you!

Curt

18. Jim Alseth says:

Interesting. Provocative. I’m all for passion. I’m pretty much in agreement about rote prayers.

You use the term “coming into the Presence of God.” Without being trite or arrogant, my goal is to never come out of the Presence of God. Leanne Payne calls it “practicing the Presence.”

What would language be without punctuation?

19. curt says:

Hi Arthur,

The link to Punctuation Kissing loops back to https://noblesubjects.com/2011/03/29/punctuation-kissing/
    instead of opening the article…

Please let me know when it is fixed, as I am looking forward to reading it!

Thank you.

Curt

• Karen Zinne says:

Good Morning Arthur:

This link did the same for me as it did for Curt. I always look forward to reading your material and this article sounds most intriguing. Thank you for the work you do for the Kingdom.

Blessings to you.

Karen

20. Rebekah says:

Well spoken…… You are so right Arthur…… God help us for being such boring and bland lovers!

21. Colleen says:

Yes!!! I have always wondered why I was the one who always noticed the obligatory salutation/addressing/acknowledging we offered up. Truth is, our spouses probably wouldn’t put up with what we give the Lord.