Social Entrepreneurs

While in England last week, I had a chance to meet a group of social entrepreneurs.  It was great fun to compare stories and strategies.  They are definitely my kind of people!

One program stood out above the rest in terms of capturing the Mercy season flavor of social entrepreneurial projects.

Danny Kruger is working with prisoners, but his approach sparkles because he is not focusing on what they need, but what they have.

He looks for individuals who have natural talent in the performing arts, both live theater and film.  He creates a context for them to write and produce dramatic performances geared about helping the next generation stay out of prison.

Check out his work at http://www.oclondon.org/

What excites me so much is that it is driven by design, not need.  He finds what God has placed in these people that never got identified and developed in their childhood and works to unpack what they have.

THIS is Mercy season.  The question no longer is “What is wrong with you?”  The belief is “God was there first” and the questions are, “What treasures did God deposit in your original software, and what can I do to help you unpack what you already have?”

Go Danny!  May your tribe increase.

Copyright August 2011 by Arthur Burk

From the Quarterdeck in Anaheim

This entry was posted in The Culture, The Kingdom of God. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Social Entrepreneurs

1. Donna Castle says:

I spent the last several years living in a culture that encouraged us to “dig for the gold” in the life of every person you meet. No matter how rough they are, God put something beautiful inside which they need to be reminded of. This looks to be a spectacular example of that mining. Inspiring!

2. Gerrit Uitterdijk says:

I am glad I came across this blog! It strikes a real blow into my spirit!!
    My wife works with prisoners and does quilting with them! They love it, as soon as they get over
    their biasses… It is so liberating to look around for potential in people, as they are generally so used to
    be looked at for all their problems…and needing some official help (I work together with social workers in my work). So: thanks (and from UK too!). We live in Northern Ireland.

3. Jana says:

GO DANNY!!

4. Dianne says:

Awesome! I am dwelling on developing the RG approach to child rearing…I always said “If I knew who my son was, I would have raised him differently.

5. Virginia Gorney says:

Hello Arthur,
    How wonderful …this is an example to remember and look for other applications! Praise God, and may He raise up more of us to be creative spiritually and socially…

6. Merrylin says:

WOW! This is wonderful!

7. Julian F says:

That’s encouraging : ]

8. Beth Woolrich says:

That is awesome!

I find that I have been so used to looking for the bad – concentrating on cleaning up – that I have had to deliberately move towards retraining my thinking. Now, whenever I go down that path, I have a new discipline – for every one defiled thing that I can see I look for at least two elements of design or a treasure that is right before my eyes waiting to be recognised. Since I have been doing that I am beginning to see the design before anything else.

Finally – I was not sure I would make the transition. Slowly but surely, one choice at a time.

I LOVE that!