Lucy the Noble Subject

My daughter, the fourth generation Prophet, graced us with sundry gems during her time in our home.  One that I cherish the most was when she was working at the bike shop.

She came to work on time (of course).  Her boss was supposed to be there early to do a number of items related to opening the store.  On that day, he had done none of his work because he was tied up on a lengthy phone call.  He motioned for her to do the requisite tasks.

As she laconically reported that evening, “I didn’t know how to do it, but I did it anyway.”

That’s my girl.

My life is filled with people who have cultivated a lifestyle of helplessness.  They are convinced that they can’t and therefore I must.  The e-mails are many, varied and tiresome.

A new name popped up on the screen a few months ago.  Lucy.  She clearly had some issues and clearly felt that I needed to provide some things for her.

I declined.  I assured her that she had the Holy Spirit and her human spirit and between the two of them, they could dig out a lot of useful resources from the Word of God and, if necessary, from some of my teachings.

I called it fathering.  I wanted to unpack the treasures that I was sure were in her, rather than validate her powerlessness.

Lucy gulped — and she did it.  She worked hard and in time began to get a little bit of traction in her life.  And like the Noble Subject she is rapidly becoming, as soon as she got a few scraps of life for herself, she began considering giving some away.

In a heroic partnership between herself and her God, she did the impossible.  Here is the entirety of her terse report.

“Third, last Saturday I was teaching about redemptive gifts in Russian language in Russian speaking church in Melbourne.  I am still alive.”

Did you notice the word “third?”

Item one was that she had a problem and found a way to work around it

Item two in her e-mail was that she had another problem and it was eating her lunch big time.  (She did not ask for help, just reported her situation and strategy.)

In that context, she gave.

Her expectations were low, and she achieved them.  “I am alive.”

I imagine God’s expectations were a bit higher and I suspect she achieved them too — because He was doing the heavy lifting with her — because she was willing to not be powerless even thought she felt powerless.

There is a new meaning, for me, to the phrase, ‘I love Lucy!”

Copyright December 2012 by Arthur Burk

From room 834, while listening to the call to prayer

This entry was posted in Awe, Beauty, The Kingdom of God, The Redemptive Gifts of Individuals. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Lucy the Noble Subject

1. Thomas Stanley-Jones says:

This is encouraging. I have often had the feeling of “This is what I want, why can’t I have it now?”, feeling that because what I want is not in easy grasp the Lord should give it over. And then hearing myself, realizing that in working for what I (and I think he) wants, he’ll give it to me (strange). Learning to have the same response as your daughter has been a challenge and that only gets me started. Oh well, the roads worth travelling aren’t short.

2. Pam Pratt says:

I love Lucy’s report of “I am alive” after stepping out on a limb. I have felt that many a times. I remember hiding in a public bathroom in Venice Beach before leading a prophetic evangelism outreach and telling the Holy Spirit that if he didn’t show up, the outreach would fall flat on the ground and I would feel so foolish…He always showed up. But I always knew I was reliant on him and his presence. Woo hoo! I am alive!

3. Mary-Anne Simpson says:

Really enjoyed that story! Made my already exceptional week better!

4. Great post. It is always so hard when we have to stop spoon feeding some who we minister to and let them learn to cut their teeth on some meat with The Lord but I have found it is so necessary in growing mature Christians. It is also hard being on the side Lucy was too but It is in the times when friends and those who could minister to me where lean and I felt alone that I grew the most because I learned that God was still there waiting patiently for me to lean on Him and Him alone. I came through some of those times of trial smelling of smoke but you know what? I got through them and I learned a lot about how to go through fires with Just God as my companion and I get better with practice.
    Debbie

5. barbarawall says:

A few weeks ago I was challenged with the concept of being in control or being powerful. To be in control is to lose the ability to be powerful. I am seeing this as an incredible shift in my thinking in how I partner with God in helping others and it has become a watershed moment for me. To be powerful is to give someone just enough light to allow them to emerge, struggle and stumble in order to succeed. The reach of this is far wider in its gifting than just handing over the needed breakthrough and stealing the gem of discovery. It reminds me of the first time I was giving birth. It was new to me and much longer and harder than desired because of the position of the baby. Each time a contraction would come I would say in fear, “Oh no”, and the midwife would firmly correct me. “Say, yes each time” ..every contraction (struggle, travail and death to myself) was one moment closer to the glory of the unveiling of my beautiful child. It was my journey to travel and no one could do it for me. Hard and painful as it was, it was mine for the taking and she knew I had it in me to succeed at it even if it was not the road I would have chosen for myself. As a giver it is my instinct to protect and nurture but I want to birth more than anything and that means giving the gift of travail to the hungry as much as it is to bringing a word of encouragement that they can do it and this is one step closer to their prize. Arthur, your sharing again moves me deeply for all the Lucy’s out there (I think that might be my middle name too 🙂 and for everyone who will partner with the sacred place of being powerful and not in control. When nobility arise in ordinary people you know you have just partnered with the Divine and that is an awe-struck moment for sure.

• Cal says:

Well said, Barbara – the gift of pain and growth is one of the greatest gifts God has given us and we give ourself and others. No road is built but on the sweat of the workers.

6. Dana says:

RICH, so rich!!! Thank you for sharing such a beautiful aroma. I am also savoring how God is even leveraging Lucy’s life-giving through this post, influencing and encouraging all of us as well. I am praying Lucy will be able to see the favor of God woven through her life even in the midst of the pain.

7. afayd says:

Thank you. This encourages me and continues Father’s message to me in this season which is as I pour into others, He will bring victory to me. I am challenged by a life situation which in the past I have responded to with fear. I panicked, allowed myself to be filled with anxiety, and because I didn’t know what to do in the situation, became paralyzed when I needed to take swift action. I didn’t walk in faith as your daughter did. Because I didn’t know what to do or how to do what I did know how to do, I did nothing! God had mercy on me and brought help in the form of friends and produced a miracle.

Now, five years later, I am faced with an almost identical situation. My response is completely different. I’m still not sure what to do or how to do what I know to do, but fear is not present. Instead, I am excited (although it can be a stressful situation) and anticipate that my Father will lead me to do the right things at the right time, bring the resources I need, answer my prayers, provide for me, and produce another miracle which will glorify His name in an even greater way than last time.

The Lord has shown me that, although the situations are almost identical, I now am responding as a daughter whereas last time, I responded as an orphan. Thank God for his truth which transforms us. Hallelujah!