Redemptive Gift Test

Would you like to test your knowledge of the redemptive gifts?  Kids are an excellent way to do it because they have not been fixed yet.  Check out this batch of wonderfully transparent darlings.

My votes.

Chuck is a Prophet with a predator spirit.  Unless he might be an Exhorter who needs help.

Serena is just an average ornery Prophet without the predator spirit.  A kinder, gentler version.

I thought McKay was a Ruler but I am wondering about Servant.

Noah was too easy.  Teacher all the way.

Danal has such a fine grasp of melodrama, not much else shows.

Nameless #12 is our token Giver.

Tamara has my vote for Exhorter.

And the Mercies abound.

So let’s sound off in the comments.  Share your pick and your reasoning.

Copyright July 2013 by Arthur Burk

From a hot cottage in McKinney

This entry was posted in The Redemptive Gifts of Individuals. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Redemptive Gift Test

1. jane62 says:

I haven’t laughed so much in ages. For a few days I wrote it off as a bit frivolous and too much like hard work. Wrong on both counts once I got started. David the Great is definitely a Ruler – I checked it with my Ruler husband – unless I am wrong about him, (again). I had an especially good giggle about the Teacher conversation. I now have to admit I am a Teacher, through and through…long teacher story how I got there…not now. I would NEVER write a David type letter, only the pen bit fits. Noah as Teacher I agree, lists and linear, and filling in the left out bits. Thanks for making this serious Teacher laugh!!

2. I had to smile at Gary’s practical approach to the whole thing. Someone copped his flashlight. That’s pretty earthy. What is camp without a flashlight? Sure makes going to bathroom at night an adventure. And scary stories without that floodlight under your chin just don’t have the same effect. And the food. How much more practical can you get than that? Camp Food. It has a life of its own, quite literally. Eat quick before it crawls off your plate or the gag reflex sets in. And last, but not least, underwear. Yes, Mom, don’t worry, I am changing my underwear. Taking care of the essentials.

I wondered about Servant. Seems like Servants are better than most at keeping their feet on the ground and keeping ahold of the basics. But they are often pretty engaged in taking care of someone else. A Teacher would give a report, but it would be more like Noah’s list, or about some minute details, not the broad essentials of camp life such as flashlights, food, and underwear. Devoid of the people element, so probably not a Prophet. Ruler is a toss up. There is the report of the flashlight without accusation. Food and underwear. What else do you need to know?

I will stick with Ruler.

3. Here’s my assessment:
    Mckay: Mercy because of all the emotion and the detail about cleaning the toilet.
    Chuck: Prophet (agree about the Predator spirit)
    David: Servant with a Victim spirit
    Gary: ??? Could be Prophet for the brevity 🙂
    Danal: Mercy because he knows what he wants!

This was fun! Thanks for showing us once again the beauty of the Redemptive Gifts~

4. Melissa Chepernich says:

As a Mercy, my belief is that we should all be exempt from summer camp, period. Unless some energetic Mercy is willing to create a camp with an atmosphere in which we can thrive, which may be impossible, given the pc’s who would undoubtedly come and mess with our mac experience. This exercise put me back into unpleasant memories of my summer camp days! Gotta love and laugh with the letters, though, and be grateful I survived as they will surely also.

5. ruthiespage says:

I just felt such empathy with the Mercies!!! I loved this!!! I got home from a long trip to the Delta, and quickly ck’d email. I always open Noble subjects right away. What a joy! Loved this. Guess I was so taken in my heart by the Mercies (and the joy of reading these) that I didn’t sum the rest up except for Noah! Loved his ‘report’ and the hair inspection got me too! I also thought teacher for Noah.
    thanks for the refreshing moment of joy!
    We send blessings of refreshing joy back to you!

6. dorisann says:

Well I completely agree about the two Prophets. I actually thought McCay was an Exhorter. The arrow pointing to ME, the cute stuff and being anxious to see Mimi again. Don’t see Servant in that pointing to me part. Lydia seems like Exhorter, looking at the paper she wrote on and how much fun she is having. I know it seems unlikely that she would not want her parents to visit unless it meant the fun would be interrupted. David the Great felt like a Ruler – must have all his needed tools. Anyway, thanks for the fun exercise. Though I am not sure some haven’t already been damaged! LOL

7. Leigh-Anne says:

Fun exercise! Seems like exhorters, teachers, and prophets are pretty easy to peg, and I agree on everyone’s analysis. I’m less confident on the mercy and servant folks.

What is your rationale on the token giver, Arthur? I know we’re not to take money as the main definer for the giver. I do admire this campers long term thinking and frugality, though! 🙂

• Arthur Burk says:

Leigh-Anne, two of the marks of childishness are that they measure the world by the metric of pleasure and they generally have little sense of limited resources.

Our Nameless one did bring some personal angst to the table, but notice her focus on the concept of wasting money. That is a values statement. Most kids think in terms of immediate pleasure, not intrinsic value. When a youngster begins to evidence a sense of value that has not been beaten into them, it is often a mark of the Giver gift.

I have a niece who is a Giver and by the time she was five, she was running yard sales. She would take something with an intrinsic value of one and trade it for two items worth three each, and the neighborhood kids adored her yard sales because they were after pleasure, not value. Something of high value and low pleasure today was highly expendable in their minds so they would swap it for something of low value and high immediate pleasure. Often she would sell an item back to a kid a month later at higher price (usually barter, not money) because at that other date, it brought pleasure to the kid.

Now the other very unusual characteristic of this child is the implied awareness of scarcity of funds for the parent they were writing to. Now admittedly, there are kids who are raised in poverty because they are immigrants, children of alcoholics, or children of divorce. If they have faced daily conversations about lack of money, then it would be a normal filter through which they would see the world. But broadly, children just assume that parents have gobs of money. And in this case, Mom or Dad had enough money to send Nameless to camp.

So for Nameless to use the phrase “. . . don’t waste YOUR money . . . ” is a highly non-childlike expression — unless you are a Giver.

And one of the highly irritating characteristics of many Givers is that they nag the people around them who are not getting good value for their money. Larry Burkett was one of the two driving forces behind Crown Financial which is a money management program. They were the dominant player in the Christian financial coaching marketplace until Larry died and Dave Ramsey brought his high energy, Exhorter package to the market.

Anyway, Larry was a Giver and he lived the life with consistency and integrity. He was frugal, understood value plus the cost of lost opportunity and he drilled it into his kids. Finally one day, when his Exhorter daughter was an older teen, in exasperation she snapped at him, “Dad, do you know how much zero fun, times 12% interest, compounded monthly, for 18 years is?”

So generally, when I see someone intruding in someone else’s finances unsolicited, with a concern for their not getting adequate value for their funds, and projecting onto them a current or potential lack of assets, it suggests Giver gift.

And for this young’un to think in terms of value and parents’ scarce funds is quite counter-culture to the tribe he or she was running with. Now admittedly, Nameless did express emotions with vigor and clarity at the end, but it was at the end. Givers will share what they like and don’t like about life, often as unambiguously as the Prophet, but generally the values statements will lead.

So that was some of my logic for thinking Nameless might be Giver.

8. Sue Taylor says:

Best guess is that Serena (annoyed by people interrupting her solitude in a natural environment) is a Prophet with some niche anointing connected to land. Or she is just a cranky Prophet who enjoys reaching for excellence in trying her hand at archery and other challenging camp skills.

It’s possible that Tamara, the Exhorter, is the one who really puts a bee in Serena’s bonnet. Particularly when she talks to EVERYONE incessantly, and gathers the entire camp to participate in making s’mores right outside Serena’s solitary tent.

Meanwhile, the Mercies are all synchronized and making camp business run rather smoothly – but are a bit put off when the lunch menu has to change due to unforeseen circumstances. (Problematic wildlife had gotten into the camp’s food supply).

While the Mercies are still upset that a sudden change is still in the wind, McKay (primarily a Ruler with a healthy dose of Servant in the mix) … sets about the business of multi-tasking a bigger and better luncheon menu.

Noah makes a list of … anything … and while this teacher is busy getting all of the luncheon prep step ducks in a row from left to right … Serena has retreated to the quietness of her own tent to uncover the solution to the problematic wildlife. Tamara immediately notices Serena’s absence, and tries to enlist the help of Chuck to draw Serena back into the group. And Chuck … well, you know.

9. Autumn says:

What a fun exercise! I will say that I was surprised by your comment of Noah. I don’t think I would have pegged him as a teacher. Of course, I realize your knowledge of the redemptive gifts far,far, far surpasses the fraction of understanding I have, so I don’t doubt your judgment whatsoever!

I get that Noah gave specific and accurate detail, and organized his thoughts in an lovely, graph-like manner. That’s classic teacher for sure. He is obviously very detail-oriented. Although his handwriting is a little messy (which is quite common for a young boy), he pays careful attention to stay in the lines and follow correct capitalization and punctuation rules. Many children forgo the rules of grammar when they are out of school, but Noah kept them even when writing to family. The need to do things the right way initially said prophet to me. Noah also seems to have exceptional intrapersonal skills. He has a good grasp on his feelings towards the world around him. The teachers I know, are not quite this connected to their emotions. However, I am only drawing from a small pool! 🙂 Lastly, when I looked at Noah’s need/ability to take the initiative to judge the various aspects of his environment, and give each a rating on a scale he created, I found myself again thinking prophet.

What a blast! Thanks for posting this blog entry and giving us some brain exercise for the day!

• Arthur Burk says:

Autumn, your logic has validity. The main issue that drew me to suggest Teacher was the linear presentation. Normally, if you ask a Teacher to tell you about John 3:16, they will stare with Genesis 1:1 and work their way forward to create a linear frame for the picture in question. Teachers are hesitant to do snapshots. They are into movies. So the fact that his report was dispassionate from a personal point of view, disqualified the Prophet. As I read it, I bristled over “hair inspection.”

Never had that at camp. Are they checking me for lice? For hair length? For a joint hidden in my long hair? It just felt very invasive to me and worthy of a temper tantrum, or at least a snarky comment, but Noah calmly kept to his chronological tale.

Obviously just guessing here.

• Ron Olding says:

Prophets are all about right or wrong, good or bad.They tend not to rate things with so much detail. Teachers on the other hand,,,

10. Kim says:

Wow, Arthur! This is such a fun and great exercise. I found myself laughing out loud on many of these. I’m on vacation for two weeks with family, and the second week is fast approaching. I’m feeling a bit like Sarina right now. 🙂 Would you say that Eryn is a prophet with a victim spirit? I would say David the Great is a teacher or ruler. I would say Maya is a prophet – believing is something big that is a challenge. Thanks for this exercise!

11. Colquhoun, Heidi & Raymond says:

I laughed so hard reading these. Reminds me of Art Linkletters book Kids Say the Darnest Things. (And the song Camp Granada).

12. Stephan says:

Well, I’m going to say that “David, the Great” is a teacher. Aside from the fact that I can’t imagine many of the other gifts would consider a broken pen an emergency, there’s also the compulsion to be specific, it should be a combination lock. Then there is the wordy signature, “Your lovable son, David the Great”, which might be his way of reminding his parents that he loves affirmation.

I would say Lydia is an exhorter. Relationships are clearly a powerful force in this little girl’s life, and she obviously dearly values her family, but the fact that she is also explicity telling her family to “STAY AWAY”, seems to be classical exhorter: She is perfectly happy in an alien environment simply because of all the potential friends walking around.

Tamara, I would say is also teacher, because of the compulsion to linearly great and address each family member at a time. It’s obviously a linear process in her mind.

Lastly, for Maya, I would guess Servant. Though I don’t have any real logical reasons for that one. It just feels ‘servanty’. (Yes, I know that’s not a real word. Please forgive me for that one.)

• Neridda says:

Hi Stephan, I would like to disagree with you about Tamara. A teacher would not have an imaginary conversation with pets, she would relate all the activities she has been doing and then ask that the letter be read to the pets…

• Stephan says:

Hi Neridda. I would agree that it is by no means clear what Tamara’s gift is. However, I do think that a great many teacher children can engage in imaginary conversations.

It is true that many teachers today are very austere. But, after having spent some time in the company of aspiring authors, I believe that this is more due to wounds than design, as some of teachers in the group can partake is some very bizarre flights of fancy.

• Neridda says:

Apologies, did not mean to imply that teachers are not creative. I am a teacher myself, so i know first hand that teachers (especially as children) are quite capable of being highly imaginative.
          My point was that stylistically, i believe that teachers are more interested in story telling than in affirming relationships.
          Try reading Tamara’s letter out loud… do you get a sense of an almost breathless running dialog? I suspect that if you spoke to Tamara in person it would be difficult to get a word in edge-wise. Also her closing remarks about what to bring at the end of camp fit much more with an exhorter’s vision for the future than a teacher’s desire to reflect on the past.

• eva says:

I am a teacher gift who is relationally dirven, a therapist by professional education, but a teacher gift non the less.

• Stephan says:

Neridda, you make a good point. I hadn’t really connected the dialogue with a desire to affirm relationships. Now that you mention it, there might be more energy in the letter than I fist envisioned.

I just thought the “Dear family” was a rather formal way to address your family. And, teachers tend to address everyone formally, because “the process has to be right”. I found it hard to picture an exhorter starting a letter like that. The exhorters I know are strangely fond of exclamation marks.

I also found the middle sentence somewhat strange, “So let me talk to mom or dad or the whole family. Ok, the whole family.” As though she wants us to track her thoughts, and not get left behind. Whereas exhorters tend to hide away the “behind the scenes” action, But, perhaps it’s simply that children in general don’t really think far ahead, they just copy down whatever’s going through their mind at that exact moment, and then it’s too late to erase.

13. Kunle says:

I think Lydia is an exhorter…she seems to not have any issues with the fourth level of parenting and is able to mix well and interact with the kids and people.

David the great on page 15 seems to be a ruler……seems like he wants his requests done or answered at all costs no matter what it takes. Also note the capital letters he uses for his letter and the name “David the great”.

Mckay seems like a servant……and feels like he has a job to do by bringing it up in the letter.

And……..As you said…….., of course the mercies do abound 🙂