Light Prayers: 11. Light to the Eyes

Psalm 19:8  NIV  “The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart.  The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes.”

Psalm 19 is a fractal of two.  Verses 1-6 are the first section and it is defined by three things:  the use of the term God; the portrayal of the eloquence of nature in celebrating Him; and the focus on the unlimited power and glory of God.

The second section begins in verse 7 with a change in all three.  The term used is Yahweh, the covenantal name of God.  The medium of revelation is God’s Word.  And the focus is on the benefit to us of knowing and embracing the will and ways of our covenant Lord.

And in the second list, where our verse is, there is a fractal of seven divided into the familiar six + one pattern.  Using the NIV rendition, we have law, statutes, precepts, commands, fear of the Lord, and ordinances, with the Mercy position in the fractal being holistic:  “They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb.”

Our phrase is #4 in the list, therefore it refers to the Exhorter gift.  I love the consistency of the fractals.  Light is associated with the Exhorter on the fourth day of creation, with the sun, moon and stars.  And the golden lampstand in the Tabernacle was also a portrayal of the Exhorter gift.

To sum it all up, God’s design is for His light to shine through the Exhorter portion of our spirit to reveal His goodness to the world around us.

That becomes the focus for this week.  As I walk in obedience to His commands, His light will shine more brightly in me, so that my spirit will shine more brightly in my connections with others.

“Father, Your light is unlimited in its intensity.  My light is finite, but can be grown.  I ask You to significantly enlarge my spirit’s capacity to receive and reflect Your light to the world around me.”

Copyright March 2014 by Arthur Burk

From the Hub

This entry was posted in Light Prayers. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Light Prayers: 11. Light to the Eyes

1. frances bell says:

Thank you for sharing from your heart. Much appreciated. Love the prayer at the end. Blessings. Shalom.

2. Sonia says:

Thank you Arthur, will joyfully pray this prayer this week.:)

3. Thank you for sharing the bigger picture of the layers of fractals. You could have easily given just the verse and the punch line. It is a worship experience to see how God builds layer upon layer, and fractals within fractals. I so love His consistency. Like the golden ratio, they are everywhere. In addition to the Exhorter’s connection to the heavens, the lampstand, and community is the connection to time, which is also connected to light! Looking forward to praying the theme this week.

4. Carla says:

Arthur, I bless the exhorter portion of your spirit with light-bearing strength.

5. jewestaway says:

“The life-maps of God are right,
    showing the way to joy.
    The directions of God are plain
    and easy on the eyes.”
    (Ps 19:8 MSG)
    How I enjoy adding spice and variety to the mix!
    Such is the richness and clarity of purpose and intent of the directives of Yahweh that there is His Light of Life shining with transferrable intensity to light up our eyes.
    I bless that vibrant exhorter in you to be so softly pliable, to be so squishily absorbent, to soak up and extract every available vestige of Light that exudes from the Father of Lights. Super Sponge-Bob Light-Enhanced!
    May those Light-filled eyes be gifted to sweep the furthest horizons, to see what Father has positioned for you to see, and in turn, to be seen from afar, a beacon for those seeking to Choose Life…
    May that light that fills your eyes, deliciously zap us with life-giving exuberance- His light reflected in your eyes, reflected in ours!
    Continuing Life-giving Light Prayers for you to ‘See and be Seen’!
    Joan

6. Rebekah says:

Enlarge. Receive. Reflect. – Beautiful picture! This prayer at this time feels like a perfect fit. Yes
    Lord do it. Enlarge our light carrying capacity!!

7. K8 says:

I bless your Exhorter portion to be willing and free to receive ALL the King has for you in the time and ways He has ordained. 🙂