Light Prayers: 14. Darkness into Light

Isaiah 42:16 NIV  ” I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth.  These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them.”

Today is Resurrection Sunday, a focal point for global celebration of our King, but I invite you to ponder Saturday instead.

I ponder what it must have been like for the apostles.  They hoped against all evidence that at the last moment Jesus would jump down off the cross.  Instead he died, unmistakably, with all the horrors of a crucifixion.

So their dream had crashed and burned.  What do they do now?  Go home.  Struggle with the “why” questions.   How do they put the miracles along side of the death?  What do they tell their friends and their enemies?  How do they live a mundane life after three years in the presence of such an uncommon man?

Saturday for the apostles had to be brutal emotionally.

Meanwhile, Jesus was not agonizing over the past or the future.  He knew the future would be messy, but would be triumphant.

What a stunning difference in perspective between the apostles and Jesus, when both were looking at the same data – a dead Christ!

So in the face of excruciating facts on any “Saturday” of my life, I remind myself that my King is not trapped and is not agonizing over the facts that are tormenting me and that resurrections follow crucifixions and burials.

For me, the phrase that sings is Paul’s statement in Philippians 3:10.  “I want to know the power of his resurrection . . . ”  NIV  And in Hebrews 7 and 8 it speaks of our having a “better covenant.”

So Resurrection Sunday is for me the opening of a grand new chapter of the story where Christ delights in releasing wisdom and power (1 Corinthians 1:24).

This week I am asking you to pray with me for both, for three situations where I lack wisdom and power.

1)     I am stuck with Fred and Sally.  They have a situation that is quite different than anything I have worked with before.  I have walked with them for a while and initially we had great revelation, addressed issues with power and saw movement.  Now we can see nothing, and there is no authority.  Will you join me in asking God to turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth” for them?

2)     I am stuck with Sally the Singer.  She is facing a major threat from the enemy.  If she dares to make the next move toward freedom, the consequences from his hand will be awful.  His threats are credible.  Will you join me in asking God to turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth” for her?

3)     I am stuck with Fred the Fighter.  He has been fighting a particular problem for quite some time, with negligible progress.  He asked the Lord what else he needed to do, and God’s answer was “Fight harder and smarter.”  Harder he knows how to do.  Smarter is a challenge.  Will you join me in asking God to turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth” for him?

The resurrection of Christ was not the high water mark of Christianity.  It was the turning of the tide, unleashing the opportunities for the light of Christ to rout the darkness of the enemy.  Let’s fight!

Copyright April 2014 by Arthur Burk

From the Hub

This entry was posted in Light Prayers. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Light Prayers: 14. Darkness into Light

1. Roger Frye says:

I have a question about AHS’s. If Jesus has been given the keys of death and Hades, how is it that Sheol has the authority to let a human spirit out of Sheol?

Well, for starters there is a very complex problem with the word Hades and its relationship to Sheol. You might want to trace those words sometime. But broadly, I don’t understand the whole area of permission in God’s hand. He owns all the universe, but allows some strange things to go on, so I say, yes, it is a challenging paradigm, and no, I don’t have any way to make it clear and simple.

2. nita7932014 says:

My Saturday darkness has lasted for 5 months. The Lord has given strength to take each day with peace and confidence in Him because He holds the future. I am so thankful for the encouragement. I too, am stuck with loved ones who are in the Saturdays of their lives. Each day reveals only more darkness. I am reminded again that Our King has not abandoned us, He is already working out the smooth paths to take and has given the promise of light. As I pray for you I am encouraged and strengthened in my own journey.

3. lyndawrites says:

I will pray for your requests.

Follows is a poem I wrote during my dark struggle. People may be able to relate.
    (Painful times.)

LONGING

My God – your voice – I long to hear,
    Your compass of direction to show you care.
    Your Word to become revelation to me,
    A dream – a vision – oh help me to see.
    An angel to visit with guidance to share,
    A donkey to speak, if you so dare.
    A friend to share your oracles with me,
    To help me to see what you want me to see.
    Your finger could carve a note on my wall,
    My longing stopped – to my knees would I fall.
    Tell me, oh God, which way I should turn,
    If only your thoughts I could quickly discern.
    The fork in the road demands a reply,
    I sit on the path and continue to cry.
    Oh, please . . .
    Show me your ways – confirm them to me,
    As I lay on the road, confused as can be.
    But I mustn’t give up; you will meet every need,
    My timing and yours may be different, indeed.
    Sometimes you come at the very last hour,
    With all that we need, in your awesome power!
    So I will seek you with all of my might,
    Waiting, listening – your timing is right.

4. Lynda says:

I will pray fervently for your requests.

Follows is a poem I wrote in my dark struggle, perhaps people can relate.
    (It can be very painful.)

LONGING

My God – your voice – I long to hear,
    Your compass of direction to show you care.
    Your Word to become revelation to me,
    A dream – a vision – oh help me to see.
    An angel to visit with guidance to share,
    A donkey to speak, if you so dare.
    A friend to share your oracles with me,
    To help me to see, what you want me to see.
    Your finger could carve a note on my wall,
    My longing stopped – to my knees would I fall.
    Tell me, oh God, which way I should turn,
    If only your thoughts I could quickly discern.
    The fork in the road demands a reply,
    I sit on the path and continue to cry.
    Oh, please . . .
    Show me your ways – confirm them to me,
    As I lay on the road, confused as can be.
    But I mustn’t give up; you will meet every need,
    My timing and yours may be different, indeed.
    Sometimes you come at the very last hour,
    With all that we need, in your awesome power!
    So I will seek you with all of my might,
    Waiting, listening – your timing is right.

5. Kate Mazur says:

Honored to lift.

6. Sanne Z says:

I saw my situation this week as being in a little folded paper boat out on a vast ocean in a raging sea-until Daddy zoomed the picture out for me and I saw that the ocean was in Yahshuah’s hand. Praying for and with you!!!!

7. lisa4gzus says:

Light is sown for the righteous and joy for the upright in heart. Psalm 97:11 The word sown means to plant a seed, conceive, give birth. May light be sown in each of these three needs. May darkness be turned to light and resurrection power released for breakthrough, giving birth, life and joy!!

8. Barry says:

Just did, or began to do, an honest assessment of my transition and man, what a ways to go yet! I have been walking with a Noble Subject for some two years and come along ways in terms of healing and dealing with things. My wife says it has made a difference, big difference and I guess I can see it to but there is always something more in front of me it seems. Something from one of your teachings about violation of design really stuck with me the other day. I am redemptive gift prophet but I gotta say that I still find myself absolutely paralyzed in just standing up for what I know is right! I gotta think that is a violation of design and it has been with me my whole life. Critters and woundings aside I know that I have to FIGHT and I have to face this darkness myself. That is why I can pray for the people you are asking for because it really seems like I am there too! The funny thing is that when I went back to Isaiah 42:16 does it seem like God is the one leading us and guiding to face the darkness? I am thinking that He is doing that with me and the honest truth is greatest promise of the whole verse was that He would not forsake us. That is something really nice to know when I am facing the darkness that is before me. I just love the Lord a whole lot more.

9. nancy says:

Resounding! There are so many parallels for me,
    with the positive thoughts of Saturday (yesterday).
    I gladly and will faithfully lift these needs in prayer. Isaiah 42:16 is so full of promise! May this be a resurrection week for dreams that have been dashed.

10. John Keegan says:

Sorry to gatecrash your thread with a “side issue” but I really would like people to stop talking about the three days and nights being from Friday to Sunday, when that clearly doesn’t work. Three days and nights only works if the crucifixion took place before a sabbath which was not a Saturday. I wonder for how many people this has been a stumbling block to faith.

By the way Arthur I read your stuff all the time but I’m not a great contributor. I like to be challenged by people thinking outside the box! Thank you.

11. jewestaway says:

Often considered that ‘time’ between Friday and Sunday. Exquisite pain! The pits! And this morning, after hoping to see the last of the Passover moon (and missing it!), these words tumbled out before brekkie!
    The prayer points so parallel my issues that it sees like three for the price of one! Praying Light prayers for you is changing me so much! Awesome!

Morning Debrief…

Life snatched
    Hopes trashed
    Dreams smashed
    Everything crashed in a heap
    As we took his body down
    Only to weep
    Tenderly removing that mocking crown
    So carefully
    Wrapped our loss in that cloth
    Limp bloody mess
    And to think
    We thought he was the one
    We were the mess