Light Prayers: 25. Darkness Separated from Light

Genesis 1:16-19  NIV  “God made two great lights ̶ the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.  God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good.  And there was evening, and there was morning ̶ the fourth day.”

Luke 11:34  NIV  “Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eyes are good, your whole body also is full of light. But when they are bad, your body also is full of darkness.  See to it, then, that the light within you is not darkness.  Therefore, if your whole body is full of light, and no part of it dark, it will be completely lighted, as when the light of a lamp shines on you.”

The primary focus for the year has been asking God to shine light hither and yon.  God has answered those prayers in many ways.

But as I pondered the large list of verses on light that I have not used yet, I was drawn to the first two mentions of light on the first and fourth days; light and darkness were separated/segregated.

And this theme is throughout Scripture.  The Hebrews had light in their homes.  The Egyptians had dark.

People left on a trip at the first light of day.

But inside us, there is a commingling of light and darkness that is in a class of its own apparently.  “. . . your body also is full of darkness.”  I read that with disbelief and went to my Bible study program.  After checking with several versions and then going to the Greek, it is quite clear (and distressing) that the word ‘also’ is actually there in the original.

How can darkness and light coexist anywhere, especially within me ­ the worst possible place?  I don’t know.  I do know that the command is clear.  “See to it, then, that the light within you is not darkness.”

Last week, moving toward God unexpectedly resulted in God revealing pus pockets of fear (darkness) within me.

If that is where God is going, I want to go there voluntarily, not under duress.

I invite you to pray that God will separate light from darkness in me, revealing the darkness for what it is, and showing where it is, so that it can be dealt with.

And pray for me to have the courage and faith to face each point of darkness in me and to deal with it effectively, with finality.

Copyright July 2014 by Arthur Burk

From home

This entry was posted in Light Prayers. Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Light Prayers: 25. Darkness Separated from Light

1. pinkthinkers says:

Reblogged this on Trees of Righteousness Ministries and commented:
    I’ve written a book called “Darkness and Light – The Little Girl in Pink” (A Journey from Fear to Faith), more info. at http://www.puzzlepieces.info.

The book is a beautifully illustrated depiction of the emotions of an abused child, and the journey we’re all on in life, to expose the darkness around is and bring ourselves into the healing presence of the LIGHT and LIFE of Yeshua (Jesus)!

I was pleasantly surprised to come across Arthur Burk’s blog with daily readings on LIGHT. Thank you, Mr. Burk; for this blog, and for your book, “Blessing Your Spirit,” that has helped transform me from a child of fear to a woman of faith, allowing my spirit, the true essence of who I am in God, to shine brightly as a light for the world to see and be drawn to Jesus.

I encourage each one who reads this to go towards the light of God, embrace Him, and expose the darkness within your soul, to be renewed and brought into proper alignment with your body, led by your spirit, that desires to obey and follow The Holy Spirit.

Amen! So be it!

2. Sally Sugrue says:

This weeks blog and following comments have been amazingly refreshing for me – thank you all.
    I’ve been made more aware of darkness in me recently, as well as the light, and have been in awe of God;- who knows all about this darkness in us and who still calls us ‘His own’. I’m longing to be full of Light, and will continue to pray, as directed, for you Arthur… as I’m gaining so much from these light prayers.

Liked by 1 person

3. nita7932014 says:

I was interested in the comments regarding light and darkness coexisting. I took a look at the King James translation. The Eye is a Lamp. When your eyes are [good] your whole body is full of light. The word Light is ‘single’ (haplous) or clear in the Greek. When your eyes are ‘bad’, your body also is full of darkness. The word Bad is ‘evil’ (poneros) in the Greek. In Ps. 18:28 the psalmist says “You, O Lord, keep my lamp burning, my God turns my darkness into Light.” In Proverbs 20:27 it says “The Lamp of the Lord searches the spirit of a man”
    In Job 18:5 we are told “The lamp of the wicked is snuffed out; the flame of his fire stops burning. The light in his tent becomes dark; the lamp beside him goes out.—–18:21 Surely such is the dwelling of an evil man; such is the place of one who knows not God.”
    We can take responsibility for our lamps to have good light. The Lord, at my request will keep my lamp burning such that my body can be free to do good works. Matthew 5:16 These works are visible to those around me and cause them to praise the Lord.
    You can be assured that I will be praying for you on this theme for a long time. Paul told the Ephesians 1:18 “I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe.”
    The assignments that lie ahead are to be of enormous blessing for thousands.

Liked by 1 person

4. Sherry says:

Can light and darkness coexist? Maybe…doesn’t it depend on how far the light reaches, or doesn’t reach? Looking at some of my own puss pockets of fear, again, and the Lord told me to Look to Him. If I’m looking to Him then I’ll see the Light and that Light will shine on me, and the darkness that I have hidden will be revealed. And maybe, if I allow the Light to shine in me, then that light will cause the darkness to be transformed into Light.??
    Makes me think of Moses. After being in the presence of God on the mountain his face was full of light. When he came down from the mountain and saw the sin of the people, I wonder if he had a puss pocket of anger that showed up and caused him to throw the 10 commandments? Darkness and light coexisting,?
    Thanks for a new directions to look at.

Liked by 1 person

5. “Beautiful and courageous” – I agree! To willingly pursue the eradication of darkness is certainly an act of courage. Most of us have to be forced into that kind of pain. So, we too, take up courage to pray for you and for ourselves, knowing full well that what we ask for might not be very nice for you or for us.

Liked by 1 person

6. Paul says:

This post came a day later than I’m accustomed to receiving it, but it was so worth the wait!!! Powerfully challenging!!!!

Yeah, Sandy normally posts it on Saturday evening before she goes to bed, but she was having computer problems so I volunteered to do it. Two clicks. How hard is that? Then I promptly got involved in thinking about grand and glorious abstractions, went to bed cheerfully and thought nothing of my malfeasance until Sandy wrote on Sunday with her usual tasteful gentleness, asking if I had had some computer challenges that kept the website from showing, when she jolly well know I had probably flaked on her. AGAIN. Which is why she normally posts them! She is dependable.

7. phyllis says:

I am so grateful to God for your influence on pursuing the 3 minds, 3 hearts, 3 . . . I am currently looking at the shema to ponder if it is describing our body, soul and spirit or the body, mind and strength of our spirit man. I would appreciate insight from anyone on this.

8. phyllis says:

Arthur: Praying for you to know with great certainty if there have been any demons disguised as angels of light interacting with you or your life. Personally, I encourage you to keep walking toward His light and not looking for darkness but allowing His light to expose and shatter it. Walking by the spirit/Spirit seems to be our greatest calling and challenge for us all. He only illuminates a step or two at a time and our Western minds are on “go fast”.

Blessings as you walk on.

Liked by 1 person

9. Glenn says:

I John 1:5-7 has been Father’s go to passage to me for years regarding dealing with the darkness in my life. The if/then has taught me what He has already done and what I am responsible to deal with. His light always drives out darkness, ALWAYS! But I am also recognizing the darkness reveals to me where I am not in His light yet. Recognizing darkness motivates me to pursue light. The darkness can be my own, but is often the darkness in others as well.

10. eva says:

Amen, ME TOO

11. Lila Wagner says:

I’ve spent the season since Easter pondering the passage from Matt 6 and/or Luke 11–this in conjunction with Kierkegaard’s book, Purity of Heart is To Will One Thing. It’s being borne in on me that Father wants me whole:–single of heart, mind and vision. If my eyes are fixed on Jesus, He will transform me into His likeness.

12. LaVonne says:

Oh just had the thought darkness can mean shades of “gray” so not completely dark but like having sunglass on tinting everything.. hm interesting.. ” See to it, then, that the light within you is not darkness.” So when you (we) take the tint off, it gets brighter, clearer, light (er).

13. LaVonne says:

Will be praying for you, and SLGers. I Like this part: “See to it, then, that the light within you is not darkness. Therefore, if your whole body is full of light, and no part of it dark, it will be completely lighted, as when the light of a lamp shines on you.” It will be completely lighted. I really like that phrase. and this one; “as when….” No great words of wisdom, just letting that phrase sink in and the ” it will be completely lighted” . All I know is that when I am in a place (physical) that isn’t clean, my eyes burn and they are doing that right now. So It’s either that or because I am trying to read a book on Spirits of Greed and Poverty. And every time I start I get really sleepy and my eyes ache. I will get thru this book. No mesmerizing spirit will stop me, Help Jesus… I liked the comment about the AHS by Trish… my spirit went yes.

14. K8 says:

Am so praying for you and for me too! Wow.

15. lovinliberal says:

I’m just really wondering if it is about being human and living this side of eternity (which is o.k.)
    1 Corinthians 13:12 (AMP) | In Context | Whole Chapter

12 For now we are looking in a mirror that gives only a dim (blurred) reflection [of reality as in a riddle or enigma], but then [when perfection comes] we shall see in reality and face to face! Now I know in part (imperfectly), but then I shall know and understand fully and clearly, even in the same manner as I have been fully and clearly known and understood [by God].

16. lovinliberal says:

Where does deception come from? What seed is it born from? What lulls us into believing we have light and are not deceived? What fears drive us into thinking we have been deceived?
    My husband was raised Catholic! They were taught if they strayed from the one true church, they would fall into deception. Listening to the gentle apologists of the local Catholic radio station, I hear every thing familiar, until I hear THAT doctrine, which has no meaning in my language.
    I was raised fundamental Pentecostal. I was taught to be wary of deception and given a list of things to believe and to not believe. The only true break comes with rebellion and suffering.
    My Mormon friends, receive a burning in their breast, which attests to the rightness of Mormon Doctrine and stepping outside of that realm feels like deception and that the adversary is ready to devour.
    A Jehova Witness acquaintance speaks to the sense of serenity and peace found in her Kingdom Hall but is troubled by her inability to live it out in daily life.
    The same plumb line of biblical inerrancy is used by many Christians, yet fruit, theology and doctrinal statements are all over the map! I fear when I step out of traditional thinking. I fear when I don’t. I move towards answers only to remember that my heart may be deceiving me into wanting something I should not have.
    The only thing I know is God is Love and Perfect Love casts out fear. Yet I too am still afraid.

17. Praying that for us both, Arthur.

18. Pamela says:

LOVE this one and I don’t know what it is about it that’s made me read it over and over again in the last hour. As always I’m in, but there’s a something about this one that makes me lean in with a surprisingly unexpected chutzpah. Maybe it’s just me, but I’m going to be marinating in it a while.

19. Trish Smith says:

Enjoying the debate going on here. I’v been pondering this scripture for years and wondering how to keep eyes bright like lamps when all around there is darkness? This scripture is particularly challenging for those trying to shine brightly when living in dark places such as children trapped in domestic abuse situations, people in prison etc, etc. How does this play out for them? What does one do when there is little light to absorb? Pray?

I’ll bet there are AHS’s diverting what we see, turning our light to dark, causing deterioration in spirit, soul and body.

20. Ted says:

…God revealing pus pockets of fear (darkness) within me. That just did it for me. Everyday I pray Ps. 139:23-24 and God not only turns on the flood light but points a laser beam zapping away the pockets. The small scarr tissue left then becomes a reminder of surgery and a basis for great fullness. I am now becoming a Scarr Tissue Model as I share with anybody I can what God zapped here and there and of course this obvious one here pointing to my head since He removed the corruption there. So Arthur I’m with on this one. Will lift you up every day. You’re not asking too much here.

Liked by 1 person

21. Irina Rivera says:

Your post makes me think about the picture God gave me in the days when I first met him. He showed me a large rock and on one side of the rock light was shining on it and he said this rock is you and I knew that the light shining on the rock with the parts of me that I was willing to show others. And then he took me to the other side of The rock and it was dark. There was moss growing. It was dank and unattractive. He said to me, “I love all of you”.
    Is the darkness in us the presence of darkness? Is the darkness in parts that we don’t want to see? I don’t really know. But I am thinking about this image in light of what you posted today.

22. Sue Dawson says:

Arthur,
    is this passage not emphasizing the eye being good or evil, like a lamp either illuminating or not illuminating a room (the body)? If your eye is “evil your body will grow dark as well. Therefore, guard yourselves, so that the light within you is not darkened.”(Deliitzsch Hebrew Gospels) It seems that in these verses (the “as well” links the eye and the body) the darkness, or lack of, is solely dependent on the light, or lack of. Light controls the darkness, as the eye controls the amount of light/darkness in the body?

I am just clarifying here, not trying to teach a lesson. Light and darkness cannot coexist, as in occupying the same space at the same time, right? It seems that if the light within is becoming darkness, there must be at some point some level of deception, either about what is in us already, or about what we are seeing. Hmm… I think I am with you in these prayers. I know that when I first had the thought that there must be things, sin, in me that I had no idea about, and I prayed “search me oh God… see if there be any hurtful way in me,” that He did, and it was the right way to go.

Blessings,
    Sue

Well Sue, I think I would push back a bit. In our mindset, light and darkness do not coexist. But what if, instead of reinterpreting the verse to fit our science, we let it be the way it was written in the Greek? And what if, spiritual light and darkness CAN coexist? But shouldn’t.

• Rosa says:

Ever outside the box…

• Pat says:

Great post, Arthur. I wonder if this is a question of the same nature as “Can a Christian have a demon? Can a demon and the Holy Spirit co-exist in the same person?” Much of the Evangelical church has said, “Never!” and so remains co-mingled. I’ve never understood HOW that can happen or WHY the light of the HS doesn’t just overwhelm the demon and blind or toast him out. But it does happen and for some reason, the light of the HS doesn’t obliterate the demon. Just one more thing I know but don’t understand. Is there a clue in asking, “What is light? What are its characteristics or components? What is light capable of doing?” Are we missing something there? Love exploring the topic with you.

• Cal says:

Pat, great post.

I’m wondering if the fact that it seems like the Holy Spirit and demons can co-exist within the same person is ultimately understood under the umbrella of free will and overcomingness.

God had given Lucifer and angels free will because the Scripture shows he choose to self-corrupt and became Satan. God did not cause rebellion as He is fully Good, but He allowed the revolution. And some angels became demons in train. God gives each person free will to continue in the rebellion we have from original sin or to walk up the hard road of learning love, obedience and faith in Jesus. So the interface, within each of us, of the Holy Spirit, angels, other people, and demons is inside and within the world of learning to love God and others. We have authority over Satan, but he has permission on this earth to attack us. In Genesis 3 God said to the serpent: “And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.” In this world we always will have temptation and obstacles to Jesus.

Yet to those who overcome and persevere, the glories of Heaven open up. Intermittently in this world, but fully in Heaven, the ultimate World. The Glory of God is revealed now and thoroughly in the world to come. The battling of darkness strengthens us and makes us beauiful for the World to Come. It is all part of the training toward Godliness.

This means we view the demonic obstacles as Arthur does. Both as problems that serve to move us closer to God because of need, and also as the arena where God destroys these impediments in process to show His power and glory. His works always reflect His Glory and beauty. When He works slowly, he is working in that beautiful, non-controlling manner of His because He loves us and invites US to take responsibility to step up and move up into the work of living out His freedoms for us and others. This is the process of learning wisdom and love in Jesus Christ.

All is good in His world, and in ours as we live in Him. The process is important to the result.

Best,
          Cal

• Sue Dawson says:

Let me rephrase. Obviously, light and darkness DO coexist – as the sun comes up, it gets lighter, less dark. They’re both there. But my emphasis was on the eye being linked with the light and darkness, not the light and darkness being linked. If our eye is clear, isn’t it easier to see the darkness, or what is hidden, and sweep it out? Does not walking in the light imply the very thing you are doing – getting God’s perspective on your true condition, and agreeing with Him? Are we talking about physical eyes, or spiritual eyes, or can these two even be separated? These are things I think about – I’m just asking questions here.

That I could not say, Sue. I have looked at that verse every couple of years and have not come to terms with it. I read the words, but I think there is something deeper about the light and our eyes than I have discerned yet, so I keep coming back to it, picking at it, trying to get to the heart of the matter.

23. dorisann says:

it is much like re-visiting a crime scene. Trying to solve something you thought was solved and then discovering what you missed and going thru the process again that you thought was done. And then you have to repent over the original conclusion and embrace the new one, own your mistake and move on. Not a fun process and even less so for a prophet. I don’t envy where you are but know the treasure will be valuable for you. Praying this for you and for all of us who ignore the darkness inside.

24. Serina says:

I so appreciate about you, that you always want to grow and go deeper.
    I am praying.

25. Rosa says:

Amen. This post strikes me as beautiful and courageous.