Light Prayers: 29. Jars of Clay

2 Corinthians 4:5-9  NIV  “For we do not preach ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.  But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.  We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.”

I am going to be at an undisclosed location in Uganda this week doing some territorial warfare with a local team.  Humanly speaking, the task is too large for the team we have.

The tension between the “light of the glory of God” and the “jars of clay” is pressing on me heavily.  I don’t want to hold back because I see the team more clearly than I see the King, nor do I want to over reach.

Pray that I will have utmost clarity about how to bring the light of God to the land He made.

Copyright August 2014 by Arthur Burk

From Kampala

This entry was posted in Light Prayers. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Light Prayers: 29. Jars of Clay

1. Jayne says:

Like Nita, I’ve been thinking of Gideon. It was you, Arthur, who enlightened me to the fact that Gideon’s apparent under-confidence was not due to novice; rather, it was the reluctance of a seasoned warrior who had lost his brothers in the trenches of war. His HANDS* were strengthened ONLY when he KNEW that his role was not to spearhead the work of God, but to finish the job “…The Lord said to him, ‘Get up, attack the camp; for I have given it into your hand. But if you fear to attack, go down to the camp … you shall hear what they say, and afterwards your hands shall be strengthened to attack the camp.’ … When Gideon arrived, there was a man telling…his comrade… ‘I had a dream, and in it a cake of barley bread tumbled into the camp of Midian, and came to the tent, and struck it so that it fell; it turned upside down, and the tent collapsed.’ And his comrade answered, ‘This is no other than the sword of Gideon…into his hand God has given Midian and all the army.’
    So, my prayer for you is that God will show you clearly what He and his warring angles have already accomplished in the spiritual realm. In the case of Gideon: Into the camp. Striking the tent so that it FELL and was TURNED UPSIDE DOWN and COLLAPSED.
    Gideon was so affected that he worshiped God!
    *P.S.* The idea of deliverance of the hands is brand new to me. I have been using recent MFM / Dr. Olukoya prayers to target underachievement. —- “He seals the hand of every man, that all men may know his work. ” (Job 37:7) —- “Therefore strengthen the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees,” (Hebrews 12:12)

2. Elizabeth says:

Gideon. Pitchers. Trumpets. Lamps!

3. Noeleen says:

I wonder if there would be a proportionate link between your fascination with/being distracted by ‘the light of the knowledge of the glory of God’ which you possess as a result of God shining his light into your heart, and the clarity with which you bring the light to the land. ‘Do not be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.’ I know he wasn’t saying that to people sitting by the fire sipping hot chocolate.

4. nita7932014 says:

The ‘Team’ tension can diminish strength in the spirit and the body. Gideon’s Team was small for the task but mighty in the hands of the Lord. Go forth in His strength. Will be praying.
    Nita

5. Soniaj says:

Praying for you and celebrating you:)

6. K8 says:

Post script: I think I just heard Him say (while grinning VERY confidently): He’s totally got this. He suggested I agree and declare it in certitude with thanksgiving. So I did and I shall. What a fun job. 🙂 Thought you might wanna know in case it helps ya breathe easier. (exhale!)

Grinning too with not small amounts of eager anticipation of more very good news from the African fields, Kate

7. Glenn says:

Jesus declared “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

I pray that you will receive supernatural clarity to walk with the One who is the light of the world so that you manifest the light of life to accomplish the work Father has sent you to do.

8. dorisann says:

I so needed to see this scripture today…. can I have it too? There is nothing like strapping on Daddy’s big shoes and stepping out with the knowledge that the only one who really has control is Father God. Go team go!

9. Sally Sugrue says:

Yes Arthur, will pray as requested.

10. K8 says:

You’ve got it.

11. Paul says:

Praying that the surpassing greatness of His power be revealed to and through you and your team so that the King may receive all the honor and the glory for the work that is to be done in this coming week.

12. Lynne says:

This is EASY for God!!

13. Lee-Ann says:

Praying with and for you, the team and the land!