Light Prayers: 37. Light in Our Heart

2 Corinthians 4:6 NIV  “For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.”

The punch line of the verse seems to be a vein of ore that could be mined forever.  “. . . to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.”

the light of the knowledge

the knowledge of the glory

the glory of God in the face of Christ

What does that mean on Monday morning?

I default first to the Mount of Transfiguration and the fact that Jesus asked Father to restore the glory He had before coming to earth.  The Revelation 1 portrayal of Jesus certainly has a blaze to it.

Revelation 1:14ff AV  His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire; and his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.   And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.  And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead.

The only problem with grabbing this simple application is that it does not work with the rest of the verse.

Clearly this is universal for believers so we can’t just allocate it to Paul and John who had special privileges.

Furthermore, God “made his light shine in our hearts . . . ”

By God making His light shine in our hearts, we can then know (as in experiential knowledge) God’s glory in the face of Christ.  That is a current thing, not a future, heavenly snap shot.

OK.  Let’s make it official.

I don’t have the slightest comprehension of the actual mechanics of this sequence of divine actions.

No clue.

However, there are at least three take aways that I can extract from this verse.

First is that this is God’s will.  No question.  It is His idea.  He wants us to experience this sequence.  Whatever it is of Him that is in the face of Christ, He wants us to have access to it.

Second, God is doing it unilaterally.  There is no hint of our playing a role in this process.  Paul uses the picture of creation and there it is absolutely clear that God acted upon darkness in a very one sided manner.  Darkness did not ask for light or give a helping hand in the process.

Third, and most spectacular, our crud is no barrier to God doing that.  This is not the privilege of the high and holy ones.  The darkness that was over the face of the great deep was pretty immense darkness.  God didn’t just overrule the darkness and impose light on it.  According to Paul, God showed His immensity by bringing the light “out of” the darkness, not just imposing it on the darkness.

Ponder that!

I checked the Greek in my Bible study app.  It says this word “out of” is “a primary preposition denoting origin (the point whence action or motion proceeds), from, out (of place, time, or cause; literal or figurative).”

So God extracted light from the darkness before Him.  Impressive.  Stunning.  We see darkness.  He sees building blocks.

Now bring that home to you and me.

With the exception of the narcissists in our midst and those with advanced degrees in the art of denial, most of the Sapphire tribe is fairly impressed with the unfinished work within us.  We see the darkness or brokenness or incompleteness.

It grieves us.

How long does it really take to ever grow up?  Are we still dealing with THIS and THAT at this age?  Really?

But God doesn’t see us that way.

How wild is that?

It is God sized.

That is what He does.  He looks at darkness and sees building blocks.

That is not the world’s way.

ISIS sees all non-believers as enemies.  NATO sees ISIS as enemies.

Cops and Blacks see enemies in each other.

NYC cops look at their mayor and see an enemy.

Sony has seen enemies and is now the enemy of many.

The right and the left see the centrists in Congress as enemies.

The list of enemies is endless.

Blessed is the man who can see building blocks in the place of deepest darkness.  He is like God in a very important way.

Copyright December 2014 by Arthur Burk

From home, with joy

This entry was posted in Light Prayers. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Light Prayers: 37. Light in Our Heart

1. Sally Sugrue says:

This is so hopeful – only this morning I was praying for light to enter into a friend’s ‘black hole’ now there’s this revelation – that Father SEEs the building blocks in the darkness and calls light out of it – thank you Arthur for this

2. Irina Rivera says:

We run from darkness in ourselves and others. Darkness terrifies. Does God love it because of what he sees, what he knows he can create from it?

3. Thank you for this perspective. Looking forward to praying into it for the whole team. As I was reading, I thought also of redemption. Not only can God find building blocks in darkness, but He can redeem that actions that caused the darkness by bringing light out of it. Pretty seriously amazing!

4. Karolyn says:

“He looks at the darkness in us and sees building blocks from which He can make His light shine in our hearts.” Thankful for this insight/enlightenment today. The dark matter within and without is useable with His light. Oh, how He amazes me! 🌌

5. nancy says:

Thrilling and energizing! Thank you.

6. Rosa says:

This just lit me up.

7. Trish Smith says:

Liked by 1 person

8. Trish Smith says:

Thought that I’d share this photo of light in the chambers of the heart. I just completed a 4x4feet painting of the same in oil on linen. Tracking with this!
    inside-heart_1008_600x450-1 2.jpg

• nancy says:

I recently saw this picture and a physicians explanation that these are the “Heart Strings”. He said these literally break when one dies of a broken heart. This often happens when people lose a spouse they have loved for a lifetime, and no other health issues are present. I know it is aside from the light, but had to share.

Liked by 1 person

9. This is a very special sharing and much needed for ourselves as well as for those we counsel. We will be sharing this! Thanks, Arthur. Blessings, Jerry and Denise Basel, http://www.fathersheart.com, http://www.jerryanddenisebasel.com.

10. Sandy Bassie says:

On Friday, I mentioned to my husband several friends talking about being restored to how ‘we’ were in the garden, in contrast to several sermons in which our pastor said salvation didn’t restore us to a pre-sin state, but makes us like Jesus the only perfect man. I found myself passionately saying, I believe that was always God’s plan. Even, before creation, He always intended to make us like his Son; Adam and Eve just didn’t see it. Your post reminds me of this again. Thank you for another place to sit a while to look at God’s beautiful grace. The Spirit hovering over the darkness and drawing light out darkness at creation is one of my favourite scenes. It is a delight to be able to savour these further together this week.

11. Simone says:

This prayer speaks right to my heart..
    ‘We see darkness, God sees building blocks!’ My spirit was jumping at almost every paragraph in this prayer post..
    Thank you Lord for seeing the masterpiece and building us one block at a time!

12. jewestaway says:

The dynamics of the extraction of light from dark was nothing to God! He just did it! Basic stuff! Awesomeness
    Side-stepping a little, if I may take you back a few weeks, to a magic morning when I awoke to an array of rainbows on my ceiling. Grabbing phone to record them as they intensified and lengthened, I began to ask a few questions. You know… how, when, where, why? Ok, I’m a side sleeper and somehow woke on my back, so that’s how I saw them? But the louvers were also at a particular angle and the sun was in just the right spot, while the refraction off the bevelled edges, lining up with the angles of the blades in that particular slice of time. His timing… Hmmmm… A few coincidences here! Ok Papa! What do you want me to see or hear?
    “Joan, I had all the math worked out way before I said ‘Light be!'” Now that exploded within me! Out of original darkness he displayed his magnificence in the exquisiteness of his plan! Fractals of light and time!
    Then I recalled my curiosity as a little girl watching our neighbour, down our big hill over the road and up his little hill, shopping firewood wood most mornings. He’d lift up his axe with a mighty swing, and then bring it down to split the log. But it wasn’t till he was starting to lift for another swing I’d hear that crisp sound of metal on wood, like an out of sync echo! I’d been fobbed off with a ‘Light moves faster than sound’ by family. To me at five it was a marvel that was supressed, to agree with grown-up dismissiveness. But seventy years later, my heart leaps with renewed curiosity. And Papa God had the answer, “Joan, I had done the math for sound and time too! And I didn’t need pencil and paper to figure it out either!“ And he was smiling. Easy peasy! Just so we could estimate how far away the storms are, by the time between lightning flash and thunder clap! Thankyou Papa, you think of everything!
    So Papa and I were there in my rainbow bedroom as he poured in a few buckets of love and understanding, as I marvelled at how awesome He was!
    Monday morning comes and hope is waiting with ears pricked, for answers to defilement of time and land that I’ve inherited. Ageless enemies lurk and poke out their heads, of course, but here I am, expecting more awesomeness of my Daddy!
    So here I am, preparing to retire for the night, hoping for some more rainbows, or perhaps another download of building blocks from Papa!
    Joan Westaway 14 Dec 2014

13. Paul says:

Wow, what a wonderful WORD! I never considered 2 Cor. 4:6 as a Christmas text, but your exposition has all the makings for a great Christmas sermon! 🙂 Thank you, Arthur, for these powerfully encouraging truths today!

Liked by 1 person

14. Harald Olsen says:

What a great way to start my Sunday! Thats my King!!!

Liked by 1 person

15. Rosemary Williamson says:

Just to add, I went to a garage sale yesterday and bought …. Building blocks!

Liked by 1 person

16. Rosemary Williamson says:

This probably one of my favourite posts! And there was light. Thanks Arthur, at the end of a very difficult week, you have shone a light my way. Thank you Father!

Liked by 1 person

17. dorisann says:

Arthur that is spot on outrageously amazingly lighting up my spirit. A whole other level odd looking at the concept of coming in the opposite spirit, and love your enemy….. God wants to do what we only fantasize we can do. He will do it because he created the reality that it could be done. Just knowing that He is in it makes it possible even though I can’t imagine what it will look like and probably won’t until He does it. How to pray into this one…..