Silence and Spiritual Warfare

Is it absolutely necessary to speak out your spiritual warfare for it to be effective?

There has been a lot of theological debate about that, specifically centered around the question of whether the devil can hear our thoughts.  I will bypass the whole theological issue and simply say that in my life, there are a LOT of measurable, verifiable, sustained demonic movements produced through my silently resisting the enemy that is outside me.

Having said that, I would quickly add that verbalizing my opposition to a demon seems to work a whole lot better, faster.

I feel the same about celebrating God.  I do a LOT in my mind.  I see things all day long that cause a spike of emotion which qualifies as worship.  In addition, I use a lot of written words.  I fill e-mail after e-mail with observations of God’s fingerprints on someone’s life.   I am proudly the Chief Celebrant of the beauty of God in you.

However, at the end of the day, the evidence is that verbalized, shared celebration of God is more powerful than either of the above.  Thus our lunch time conversations where we share the goodies from the morning are highly potent worship.

So at any given time, we have a spectrum we can operate on, from silent joy to verbal expressive sharing with others.  All points are legitimate, but some are more powerful than others.

Now let’s move from the medium to the worshiper.  At the end of the day, we also have a spectrum.  There are those who are highly in touch with their emotions and are able to express their joy publicly with ease.  And there are those who by design and/or woundedness are much less able to feel joy, or are inhibited in expressing it publicly.

I am in the later group.  Probably 80% of my worship is silent savoring with God.  Another 17% is in writing.  The rest is verbal.  And to celebrate wildly on stage in front of other people is harder than hard for me.  Just can’t let it go like some people can, even when I feel it deeply inside.

The two recent Practicums were classic illustrations of that.  God did some IMMENSE things there.  Inside I was having a wild party.  Outside I was calmly analyzing what God did, teaching you and moving on to the next problem to solve.

Now, bring that construct to Facebook.  It is an Exhorter platform.  While I am certainly aware of the battle raging in the spiritual realm over the behind-the-scenes shenanigans at Facebook, on the surface, it is a platform for people to share their joy over the new things in their lives, whether puppies or pay raises.

And I believe that there is a stupendous cloud of spiritual activity generated by Facebook every hour over what is celebrated – good or otherwise.

Consider our page.  Engagement levels vary but there is some rough similarity to the proportions.  At the present moment, one post has generated 1,258 views, with 59 likes and eight comments.  The audio from the Warfare Communion Service has 525 views, nine likes and two comments.

This blog is comparable.  From inception we have 845,081 views, and 5,269 comments.

So we have different classes of engagement.  I personally know a number of people who never miss a blog or Facebook post but have never commented a single time.  Some are absolutely anonymous.  Others write me privately to celebrate things from either platform but they would not even consider commenting there.  A few write comments in public view with ease.

Each is welcome, and I am not doing this blog to put pressure on anyone to comment. But I do believe there is great power in the fingers of those of you who are emotionally vibrant and enjoy celebrating.

Right now we have two unofficial cheerleaders:  Janis in the US and Joan in Australia. One in the northern hemisphere and one in the southern.  And they are in widely differing time zones, so both day and night there is a celebrant awake, monitoring our Facebook page.  By design, they each have a deep well of emotion and they enjoy celebrating in full view of the world the things about God that excite them.

I could not do what they do.  My emotions are quite a bit more modulated, but I rejoice in the ability they have to rejoice at the level they do.

And I believe that their articulating their joy over the things God does adds a lot of spiritual vitality to our Facebook page and enriches the spiritual environment somewhat, in a broader context that ranges from banality to abominations.

Both God and I value the millions of silent celebrations that go on every time you see the fingerprints of God on our tribe.  This is the backbone of our culture of worship.  You are a treasure.  There is plenty to do on any given day.  You don’t have to keep coming back to social media to celebrate with us, but you do.  That is a statement of how you value this playing field for God’s beauty and power.  Kudos to the amazing army of silent celebrants.

And kudos to the tiny group of specialist in the Kingdom who were made to write out the passion of their perspective.  You are small in numbers but add amazing flavor to the bouquet of worship we offer God each day.

Thank you for the fragrance of your spirit expressed in our social media.  Blessing Intensity Noble Subject blog

Copyright July 2016 by Arthur Burk

From home, at 3:30 a.m. since I couldn’t get back to sleep after a demonic visitation.  So there, critters!

This entry was posted in Spiritual Warfare. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Silence and Spiritual Warfare

1. lila1jpw says:

My Dad was a very private man. He had been away on assignment for many months, unable to be in a worship service. His first Sunday back he just stood and wept as we sang our traditional hymns. At the end of his life in 1991 he was a Pentecostal elder who had never spoken in tongues but he was a mighty prayer warrior (in his prayer closet or in a small group of intercessors) and was gifted as a discerner of spirits.

2. Steven Will says:

A more factual account from someone who has visited the Church of the Synagogue is written by Professor Willem Ouweneel, a prominent Dutch theologian who holds doctorates in biology, philosophy and theology. He lectures in Universities in Switzerland, Holland, South Africa and Germany. He is of Brethren background but is thoroughly satisfied of the genuineness of the miracles and vindicates the theology of Prophet Joshua.
    Are you satisfied the healing miracles are genuine?
    Absolutely.
    One cannot watch the above videos without being convinced of their authenticity. Apart from which I saw healing miracles for myself when he prayed for the sick.Four of the seven members of our team also received healings.
    What sort of a man is he to speak to?
    He is extremely humble and continually gives the glory to God.
    What is the attitude of the church members?
    They display the fruit of the Holy Spirit to an extent that I have rarely seen before. One has a sense of being loved, there is a sense of joy, of peace, gentleness, temperance, faith and meekness.
    Did the church members you spoke to know much about the bible?
    Yes, our whole group was surprised at the sound scriptural knowledge of those we spoke to.
    How do you know he is not an occultist?
    I have been involved in the deliverance ministry for over 30 years. I have written such books as “Demons Defeated” which has been translated into many languages and “How To Cast Out Demons And Break Curses”. I have also taught on deliverance in many countries.
    I carefully watched the ministry of Joshua and I am totally satisfied that he is casting out demons in the name of Jesus Christ. As Jesus said “satan cannot cast out satan”.
    He constantly casts out demons by the power of God. He constantly upholds the name of Jesus Christ, gives glory to God and his preaching is biblically inspired. The work of the Holy Spirit is clearly evident among the church members.
    Also one of the above videos shows a dead man being raised by the power of God.

3. Alicia says:

I love the way we each are an individual expression of our wonderous creator. Not one of us the same. Not one of us reacting or thinking the same. I just love the beauty of His expression in each one of us. When Abraham was told to look at the stars in the sky and Yahweh told him that his descendants shall be as many as the stars, then I think about how not one star is the same as another. Each one has its own individual profile and sound and they all sing together, a beautiful chorus of praise as Psalm 19 declares.
    Carry on singing, sing loudly sing softly but never stop singing, for from deep within where praises begin flows the love that we had from the start, and we give all we have to be one with His love and His heart.

• Steven Will says:

I enjoy your insight into diversity.

I hope the following comments may deepen your insights into how diversely God’s power is expressed.

There is a place right now,where people of all nationalities meet. They come from Russia, UK, America, Africa, Britain, France, etc.

The true power of the spirit world is demonstrated in its purest form.
      See it happening 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. Its on Emmanuel.tv or Dstv CH 390 24hrs daily. Also see on YouTube Emmanueltv. See real people and listen carefully to their own testimonies. Scoan in Lagos, Nigeria has been examined by independent international spiritual leaders.

He is just the greatest living and verifiable prophet on earth now. Scoan Was personally examined by the following highly respected persons ;

1) PROMINENT DUTCH THEOLOGIAN PROFESSOR WILLEM J. OUWENEEL ABOUT PROPHET T.B. JOSHUA AND THE SCOAN, LAGOS, NIGERIA. Professor Ouweneel holds doctorates in biology (Utrecht), philosophy (Amsterdam) and theology (Bloemfontein, RSA).
      2) Renowned global evangelist, P.S. Upthegrove’s who had successfully pastored AA Allen’s church as a minister.
      3) Group from New Zealand:
      Among our group there were three senior pastors, two evangelists and two men leading major Christian work in New Zealand. Between us we had 180 years of ministry.
      Our conclusion was that this is truly a work of God.

4) The Religious Monitoring Group have investigated Joshua and the Synagogue, Church of All Nations and have concluded that he is a man of God.

5) God only reveals His top secrets to those He loves. He revealed the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ to Prophet Isaiah. In the same vein, Jesus Christ revealed who Prophet TB Joshua is to His beloved servant, late Prophet (Dr.) Akin Adewole, shepherd of the Celestial Church of Christ, Opopo Igbala Parish, Ikola Road, Ipaja, Lagos sometime in 1995.

I have seen everyone with psychological disorders, terminal illness, serious disabilities healed very rapidly.
      There are too many human problems that science cant cure but they will accept the case anyway and make money out of the suffering. What is the root cause of psychological problems ?

See it happening 24hrs a day, 7 days a week.

4. sharlene says:

I am left with a lump in my throat. Realizing how much I long to voice things and don’t. I’m an exhorter who in many ways has lost her voice. I sit and listen to so many freely speaking in tongues and doing spiritual warfare and wish I had that gift. BUT, what did come to me through reading your post is that every time I do open my mouth to pray, that is when I receive the strongest sense of the Holy Spirit working through me. Perhaps it is time to openly express myself and see how God will use it.

Liked by 2 people

5. Jon S says:

Someone once told me that the demonic realm could not hear our thoughts. I was puzzled. So I started paying attention to my patterns. What I found was they could hear my “projected thoughts” fairly well. Projected commands did not always have the same force as spoken commands. But they were often good enough to remove the entities or deal with the issues at stake.

They don’t seem to hear “private thinking” as clearly, often not at all. They don’t seem to hear the dialog between my spirit and the Holy Spirit, my downloads from the Holy Spirit or word of knowledge until I speak it. I base this on the startled reaction of “How did you know that???” which suggests they did not hear that whether it was one word or a picture or a conversation.

I have never generalized past my patterns, and have wondered if that was just me or not. I would expect some variability.

6. Frank Williamson says:

Speaking out is how we get our name written in the book of remembrance
    Malachi 3 :16
    Then those who feared the Lord spoke to one another,
    And the Lord listened and heard them;
    So a book of remembrance was written before Him
    For those who fear the Lord
    And who meditate on His name.

This little verse says so much about our thoughts and words, that time of sitting in the coffee shop talking about Jesus is the way into the book of remembrance, it’s all about thoughts and words and confirms exactly what you are saying Arthur. Our thoughts come out as words so meditating on God is going to produce godly words . As one who God has called out of the denominational church I find this verse very encouraging

Liked by 1 person

7. Hello Arthur – I love the varying kinds of worship written, thought, verbal and lived out…. I verbally battle with a prayer partner over the deep wounds of folk who need a love-encounter with Father and just LOVE the whole process, corporate worship and standing or falling on my face in awe comes next but if you had to ask me how my personal prayer time is, I would say quiet as I just sit with Father not necessarily talking. Journaling with art has also opened new doors for me and to minister to others prophetically as I prepare journaling pages specially for them … there is just no limit to adoration is there! Just love your take on things. Blessings, Lizann

8. Joan Westaway says:

Celebrating… being able to celebrate!
    One of the ways I celebrate, pushing the celebration in front of the mundane… if I may share?

Sitting out in July
    Clear blue sky
    Washed clean by yesterday’s rain
    So I’m choosing my view
    Mountains to the south etched in purple blue
    So solid and true
    Each peak
    Sharper than a two-edged sword
    Reminding me of the power of your word
    Oh Yahweh, how my heart is stirred
    Warmed by the sun on my back
    Your love pours in
    Soaking me again and again
    A hug from behind
    A renewing of my mind
    Reminding me you love me
    Communing with you
    In tune with you
    I hold my breath
    Heart leaping in my breast
    As from the west comes your breeze
    Whispering through the trees
    Breathing, teasing
    Amazing wintry kiss on my cheek
    My spirit now leaps
    As the trees start to sing
    They’re singing your song
    That soft soothing song
    That I belong to you
    Your life-giving word
    That you love me

(Joan Westaway © 6th July 2014)
    And it was so similar today! Love this warfare! Joan

Liked by 2 people

• Maggie says:

I am beginning to see and appreciate that not everyone is able to express emotion freely, and have repented of illegal expectations in a big way recently, since I am one to go full on in the expression arena. The glory seen on Moses face faded away but the glory seen in poems like this one of Joan’s , that’s our country Australia worthy to praise God for . His Glory Face shines here forever, even “down under”….thanks Joan, love your words, glad you represent us.Thanks Arthur once again, this is one great glory story.

Liked by 1 person

• It was as I read this amazing blog that the words the Lord spoke to me in a Don Francisco concert here in Brisbane maybe 25 years ago, jumped into perspective…”You are as my Poet Laureate!” I’d been writing for the King, for His joy, for His occasions, to be heard by His people… and this hit like BAM!
        And my spirit soared in a flavour of worship that had been hiding behind something (?) for years. It is not just words. It’s not just poetic rhyme and rhythm… It is Worship to the King!
        A catalyst! Thank you from my heart! HalleluYah! HalleluYAH!

9. Lee-Ann says:

Hello Arthur, this blog is so timeously for me. It was a discussion I had with a friend only this morning. Now I can print and share it with her and her friend to. Her friend always prays silently and also does warfare silently. So today I celebrate her design and way of praying. I am so excited and feeling very blessed that I can share your blog with my friends. Thank you.

10. Leon Coetzee says:

I am also someone that often profoundly enjoy and cognitively celebrate the beautiful revelations and insights shared. I never venture out to post a comment. But through this post I am reminded about a challenge God has placed before me. Having listened to the importance of a growth project, I clearly felt God nudge me to wrestle with developing boldness. I am keenly aware that God wants me to become bold. As I started studying the concept in Scripture I was surprised that boldness in the Strong’s dictionary means: all outspokenness, freedom in speaking, frankness, free and fearless confidence, cheerful courage. Thus the challenge from heaven to me is: “speak freely then you are growing in boldness”. Maybe our celebrating God more publicly will be our development of Godly boldness that is needed in a world that so arrogantly promotes their unique variety of wickedness. Thank you for this post as it was an impulse that moved me into greater boldness today!

11. Elouise says:

I’ve also noticed Janis and Joan! I love watching who God arranges around cyber conversations and how responses differ. I love who God puts together through the SLG. The SLG gathers a beautiful bouquet of people. It is extraordinary and very special.

12. Kim B. says:

This blog post was timely for me.
    Thank you for honoring the silent army of celebrants. I appreciate the independence from the demand of constant public engagement. It seems that this is a typical hallmark of many Facebook groups and I find it frustrating to abide by that culture.
    All Sapphire social media is very engaging but its typical for me to read it when I am not in an ideal place to thoughtfully respond. But I find my spirit constantly celebrating the dynamic topics that flow from Sapphire. A recent highlight was Serina checking out Innsbruck this week. I eagerly joined the fight as I sat through my company social event that was rapidly turning dull compared to the spiritual army charging forward in Austria. My spirit was focused, energized and genuinely excited in her journey however, I did not publicly post a comment.
    I did feel some guilt over not posting but this blog helped me release it. I relish in my place in the silent army and sincerely appreciate the honor of participating with your tribe. I also appreciate that your legitimacy does not come from public engagement as I think others are slaves to it.
    Thanks again.

• valynda says:

So, we’ll said Kim B. I too silently celebrate whats going on with the SLG tribe as I find it difficult to express in written form my joy, feelings, warfare, etc.

13. Suzie says:

I have experienced how powerful it is to speak about what GOD has done in my life,
    about bible stories, to other people, I so love doing that, that strengthens my faith.
    I liked that you wrote in another post, that telling glorystories is spiritual warfare.

14. Suzie says:

I would love to join the Facebooktribe, but, as long as I´m not healed, I refrain from joining it.
    I would so love to put glory stories into the web…..
    The day will come….
    to worship publicly and celebrating glorystories….

• Joan Westaway says:

Suzie, I bless you as you have opened the door this >wide< !!! Takes guts! You've got em Suzie! I bless you as you rest in His sweet timing!

15. Caroline Hamatake says:

Along the lines of articulating to one another one’s thoughts, I’ve wondered about Malachi 3:16; I wondered why talking to one another is so important to God that He would take note.

16. frieda says:

thank you for differentiating the two kinds of people …. !!it gives freedom to be ‘ me ‘…, we all are different and it is ok to be different !!!!!!!!!!!!! …..so , I love what you write ,, there is not a ‘ right ‘ way to be ( except for the Lord’s truth of course ) !! I am not such a painter with words but I think it is clear ! so may the Lord bless you for being such a blessing ! I am really blessed by your teachings !

17. Devorah R.G says:

A definitely fabulous retaliation strategy. Very big of you to celebrate the otherness of others! And a good challenge to celebrate otherness while being authentic.

18. Rebekah says:

Blessing the public celebrants, especially Joan and Janis, with turbo charged, holy power infused joy!!! May their tribe increase!!!

Liked by 2 people

19. Trish Smith says:

Our thoughts create energy waves – movement in the air – some call it vibes – which change the atmosphere. I do not believe the invisible realm can hear our thoughts but rather can feel (smell maybe?) our intention as we think and move.

Liked by 2 people

• Lynda T. says:

What thoughts your comments bring to mind… the Bible says that Satan is like “a roaring lion… seeking whom he may devour…” (1 Peter 5:8)– and when you said “smell maybe?” I began to picture him sniffing around people to see what is “devourable” in them! Another reason to tell him to get lost! don’t even sniff around me!
      Also remembering a dog we had when my son was young years ago– a beautiful St. Bernard who hated baths and could read my mind. I only needed to think to myself that I really ought to give her a bath today and she would be hiding somewhere trying not to be found. So when you say that perhaps “the invisible realm… can feel our intention” is it something like my relationship with that dog who non-verbally knew my thoughts and intentions? (I am also reminded of a former pastor who used to say “analogies do not walk on all fours”!)

• Trish Smith says:

It is interesting how much our pets are in tune with our every movement and intention. We had a family poodle who would snuggle very close to comfort us when we were ill.