30. Giver Prayer: Aligning Beauty

She wasn’t beautiful by any physical standard.  Actually closer to plain than cute.  And her Airman Battle Uniform masked any feminine curves.  But her personality was so sparkly; she turned heads in the crowded train at DFW.

She hardly said a dozen words, but her pint sized body housed a supersized bundle of fun.

Our culture puts a staggering amount of focus on physical beauty.  If you came from outer space and evaluated our culture strictly from the media, the conclusion would be that physical beauty reigns supreme.

That is not really so.

Do your own study.  Go to the mall, or the airport or any other place with high exposure to women.  Check out their wedding rings and compare that with their faces.  You will find that a huge percentage of married women are not particularly beautiful.

But they are married.

That is an example of the soul stepping in front of the physical presentation.  It is obvious that their men were so captivated by their personality that it overrode the cultural stereotype of female physical beauty.

That is called aligning beauty.  The inner beauty of the soul stood in front of the visible beauty of the body.

Now, add a third dimension:  spirit.

There is a lady in Europe who comes to many of our seminars.  She is in her 80s.  I don’t know if she was ever seen as a stunning beauty in her youth, but for sure, she doesn’t turn heads now.  She is not homely.  She just looks like an ordinary 80 year old.

She is quite reserved.  No sparkly personality.  Her close friends love her dearly so there is beauty inside, but in a group setting, she is nearly invisible.  The treasures of her soul are kept well back from the general public.

But her spirit is a thing of beauty.  She walks in towering faith.  Her intimacy with the Most High is worthy of books being written.  The power of her prayer life flows from being so intimate with her Father, she knows His heart.

But there is another facet of her spirit that stands above all others:  reverence.

When I am in the presence of someone who walks in deep reverence, it invariably unleashes my spirit to realms of glory that I cannot get to on my own!  When this majestic Noble Subject is in my seminars, they are always better because of the impact her spirit has on mine.

This is the perfect alignment of beauty:  spirit in front of soul and body.

Christ railed against the Jews who placed a veneer of religion over their twisted soul.  It didn’t fool Him at all.

But He was quick to see the spiritual immensity of Mary when she anointed His feet.  The others around Him were hung up on her past improprieties.  But for Him, her spirit was so elegant, the rest didn’t matter.

30.  Giver Prayer:  Aligning Beauty   Bible Study Methods Noble Subject blog

Copyright July 2016, by Arthur Burk

From home

This entry was posted in Giver, The Redemptive Gifts of Individuals. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to 30. Giver Prayer: Aligning Beauty

1. Trish Smith says:

I keep telling my sons it’s whats inside that counts..lol!

2. Soo Fee says:

The beauty of our spirit is of great worth in God’s sight.
    1 Peter 3:3-4(NIV)
    3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. 4 Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.

• katshea says:

A few verses down in that same context of 1 Peter 3, in vs 6, the KJV says:
      Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement.

That last phrase always seemed so ambiguous,that I skipped right over it. But doing a word study on: “afraid with any amazement”, it could be translated “afraid (the Greek root for phobia) with not even one man, woman or child’s fear or terror”.

In other words beauty as a form of power has an under belly in collective fears–the main one of not being loved.

Once I did a fast from mirrors for 21 days, and watched how fear-driven my need to look “acceptable” was. In the middle of the fast, I saw 2 women about 30 seconds apart. One had just had a face lift, and was looking like a deer in the headlights in a wind tunnel. Fear was all over her–she actually looked terrified. And then following her was this radiant old woman with such a spirit of joy and peace in her short peasant body and smile-crinkled face. Her spirit and soul were so embodied in her own skin, that I felt more comfortable in mine..

In that moment I truly got that no one really cares what you look like. What matters is that you are present enough to see and accept the other person for who they really are, spirit to spirit in agape love. Self care and hygiene aside, I gave up beauty as an idol of the heart that day.

Sara was gorgeous, stunning, exotic, , ,so much so that Pharaoh, the king of the most powerful kingdom of that time wanted her. We are compared to her daughters “by reason of good works, and so long as you are not confused by any kind of false value.” (same verse, Lamsa translation) That phrase always jumped off the page for me, in contrast to not even seeing it in the KJV. “Trying” to be beautiful is a temptation of the flesh, but we get to choose between the false and temporary values of the world and our true beauty to God. Freedom!

3. Nina says:

This grieves me for the beautiful woman whose physicality overshadows her inner Beauty. I wonder if that is why so many beauties struggle with self-hatred. Their spirit has so much more to offer than most are willing to receive.

• Janis Leal says:

That’s a really good point.

• bbthigpen says:

This post seems almost written for me!! Nina- I was just speaking to my father about the pain I have gone through so much of my life because people only see the “outside” and struggle with seeing my essence/heart/ my spirit. Especially, being a RG Prophet on top of it all! I long to meet the man God has for me that can see those things, with his spiritual eyes. I have SO much to offer and wish desperately that people could get past the outside. Self-hate was a struggle, but God showed me how it has opened doors and allowed me to shine His light when I would not have been given the opportunity otherwise. God gave me my beauty so I have learned to love and embrace it, it is a GIFT from Him. By rejecting the gift, I was rejecting myself. In my younger days, I did not know how much was inside and could be “unpacked”. The culture assumes so many things just by outward appearance, when in fact, they do not know that I have walked in many of the same places and felt the same emotions. I just choose to embrace it and allow God to let people “see” me how He wants them to “see” me. Thank you Arthur for this post!!! Blessings to you and the rest of the SLG tribe!

• bbthigpen says:

Correction: The Giver portion of my spirit is pretty large as well so I feel like I am a combo Prophet/Giver..or it has grown significantly in the last year.

4. Janis Leal says:

Also, Arthur, thank you for having eyes to see beauty, and for expressing it, showing it to others, and praying for it.

5. Janis Leal says:

LOVE.LOVE.LOVE.THIS. Love 1000x.

This so massively reverberates, like a silent thunder shaking the atoms of atmosphere and matter, rocking myths and rousing spirits. Wow… And I would so love to meet and know that 80-yr old beauty from Europe. Just reading about her made me smile and feel good. Such an effect her beauty has, without her even knowing it. Bless that lovely lady….

And beautiful Mary, who so wisely, tenderly, and powerfully loved on her Lord and filled the atmosphere with fragrance, with what the Bible calls “perfume,” technically an “essential oil,” the very blood of living plants – not toxic man-made junk, but what came from God’s own created life. And, it was so very costly, also representing a part of her life and a drawing from the depths of her being in the passion of her spirit. She, too, changed the atmosphere, rocked some myths and roused some spirits. Such an exquisite example for aligning beauty!

And yes, yes, yes to your prayer of alignment – Amen — spirit first, before soul and body, taking in, infused with, and reflecting not only the beauty the Lord sees in His own unique design in each, but also the reflection of His own perfect beauty.

Have I mentioned lately that I love this….?
    So worth the wait – Thank you.

6. Rosa says: