Wisdom Research Project Poll #1

Education is an interesting tension between standardization and uniqueness.

On the one hand, everyone is supposed to learn how to read. No exceptions. On the other hand, you get to go to the school library and choose your own book to read, according to your personal tastes.

The tools I am envisioning for those who want to learn how to research principles in the Word will have the same tension. On the one hand, there are skills that simply have to be learned, not the least of which is learning to think differently.

On the other hand, there are a wide variety of ways to learn, and I have to be cognizant of that as we craft the platforms.

With that in mind, we will be posting a lot of polls in the next few weeks seeking to hear from the Noble Subjects where our starting point is.

Here is the first. It is anonymous, so your answers will not in any way reflect on whether you get invited to participate in a project or not. It will merely allow me to see broad patterns.

Since curiosity is one of the strong traits of our Tribe, I will report in a subsequent blog any surprising results.

Copyright January 2018 by Arthur Burk

1. Where are you?

2. How skilled are you with computers?

3. How long have you been tracking with SLG?

4. What is your redemptive gift?

5. Did you ever subscribe to the Bible Study Method’s podcast?

6. Do you have any Bible study software installed on your computer – not online?

7. If so, how adept are you at knowing and using its features?

8. With your current schedule, how much time per week could you invest in Bible study?

9. What would be your ideal mode of study?

This entry was posted in BSM. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Wisdom Research Project Poll #1

1. LaVonne says:

Would love to be apart of what it is you are going for. Learning the tools for research in the word. Thanks. Yes immersion yet is it practical for me? Not sure.

2. Dick Rabil says:

The survey was fun and the food part is always enticing. I believe the big challenge for me is to “think differently” about the scriptures and what they mean in this season. When I read the biography of Steve Jobs it was a bit scary to see how he intimidated his staff with that motto. But for those at Apple who hung in there, they found they were able to do things that they never thought possible. While Arthur would not intimidate us, he has tools to help us go beyond conventional wisdom. I like the idea of a small group working together. Social media is a broad term these days, and it can mean alternative online media. I have also used Zoom, and it works very well for groups from 3 and up. Slack is another option.

3. Suzanne says:

I picked a Bible study method, but really any method you choose is fine. I am open. I prefer a small group by an open fire place, but that was not an option.

4. Nancy Wieland says:

I’m looking forward to what’s coming!!!

5. Lisa says:

A web-ex group video meeting (or similar) once a week would be cool too in addition to social media which I assume to mean wordpress group or forum which you can only communicate thru written messages.

6. Jim Banks says:

Not sure where you are headed with all this, but reasonably consistent Bible study is imperative for believers of any stripe and maturity level. Its been quite helpful (invaluable) in learning who God is and understanding His ways. A Bible study program (e-Sword) on my laptop has been a helpful tool for decades, but I am finding that I need one with a few more features that is actually exhaustive in its search capabilities in multiple translations. A Bible study in the company of several other people would be helpful since everyone processes differently; I am a Teacher and my wife is a Prophet. As you might imagine we have had some interesting (read: frustrating) conversations over the years before we realized that out we were in totally different rooms (as we call it.)

7. Serina Fleck says:

Thank you Arthur for investing into this and asking us those questions to get a bigger picture.

To be honest, some of the comments I don’t understand. Quite harsh what some of the expectations are.

8. Maggie says:

Umm I live in Australia (Terra Australis)…”MOUNT” Gravatt ,Brisbane, AUSTRALIA….if there is a ‘down under’ ( as a Christian , I observe that I am seated in ‘heavenly’ places)….it’s not in the Kingdom of heaven but rather the evil abode of demons ( and we definitely don’t need that association right now)….I personally feel quite surprised and also hurt to be referred to as living down under, since it has been a long journey of personal restoration and healing here in this land we call part of the “Great South Lands of the Holy Spirit”….the land my Irish and English ancestors formed with God’s merciful Eye on us…we have much repentance to continue with so that we can be true to His mighty redemptive purpose for us as this land of the Holy Spirit.

Hi Maggie, I am surprised that there is offense over the term “down under.” I checked Google to see if it was a perjorative and found a quarter of a billion hits which suggests that for most, it is a colloquial term like “Uncle Sam” for us.

I do agree with you that the Australians have done an exceptional job of redeeming your heritage. I have watched from a distance for 20 years hearing of different groups and different strategies and being impressed with the excellence you have brought to the table and our diligence as well.

Kudos to you.

• Maggie says:

I know that is the generally accepted term Arthur, but not all Australians accept it as a worthy description, after all, over 60 percent of Australians voted for same sex marriage and I am still smarting from that….almost vowed I would not call myself Australian any more….but its the people who are called by HIS name that He sees that count for the nation not the sinners. There’s a general acceptance, almost idolatrous ,when people discover their convict heritage, but all these aspects of our story just make me weep before God. I don’t have convict heritage but mostly Irish famine refugee status with a bit of prideful English in the mix! I thank you for publishing what I wrote though…I am working on my huge inferiority complex, it’s all a matter of literal perspective geographically and then the symbolism spiritually. I have no problem with seeing myself as a servant ( down under?). But its just don’t like the term anyway on the basis of pure geography why doesn’t it also describe South Africa and South America? Just wondering…..

I will refrain from using the term in the future.

• Julia Smith says:

So that’s the answer- I wondered why the option changed. Yes I keep looking for the next poll……
            Thanks for your caring spirit Arthur.

• My understanding about all of the former British empire was a geographic relation to Britain. Middle East as no relation to middle anything other than middle of trip from Britain to China/India! Perhaps (and I have not researched this) ‘down under’ has a similar reference to the geographic relation to Britain? Just a thought.

• Deborah Anderson says:

Maggie, here in America the term “down under” is in no way casting aspersions on our brothers & sisters in Australia. It simply means that you’re below the equator.

9. s Tracy Busam says:

Guess I’m old school using Strongs Concordence and KJV. 🙂 I have attempted group Bible studies but they seemed more social so I started to study alone. Spirit is a superb teacher! :). Just found you all two weeks ago! Will attempt to find the Bible Study Methods podcast referred to above. I love to study! 🙂

10. This is great hangout can be created for the Group engagement with such studies and biblical mining.

11. Kathryn Lapp says:

Ditto Holly Ubel’s comment for me.

12. Karen Hayward says:

It was budget constraints that had me not do the Bible podcasts. Did healing ones and have been planning for both for the next round.

13. Susan says:

Ooh err is seeing people set free from captivity using knowledge that important to me that I pounce of others who don’t see it in the same way. Interesting just working my way through the 5 old posts on dealing with a snake pit to see if I can find a skeleton I can use to add some slightly different flesh on to overcome another challenge. That response leaves me with some food for thought.

14. Brant says:

The “good vibes and good food” caused me to vacillate on my first choice.

15. Susan says:

No exceptions? Someone I knew started learning to read and do arithmetic in her 60s because she said she had been educated as an imbecile. No one realised that she was partially deaf until she was in her 30s. No one realised that she was dyslexic until she was in her 60s. No one even tried teaching her basic skills like reading as a child as they thought she was incapable. When your ears and brain don’t work as expected it is difficult to learn anything although not impossible with the right support. After her husband died her son started to help her with money but he proved unreliable so she had to start learning arithmetic to help herself.

There are more people who manage to survive despite barely being able to read than most of us realise. They just become masters of covering up the shame of barely being literate. According to someone I knew who ran an advice centre in NE England 40% of the people who came to them for help struggled with reading. One of the reasons why some people are poor and struggling is their inability to read and do basic arithmetic. No wonder we are told that without knowledge people perish!

16. jane62 says:

I loved the idea of the podcasts but sadly the online format didn’t work well in my environment. Even though I thought it should it didn’t. Reality check. As soon as I need to study by listening, I need it offline. So that I can put it onto repeat, back and forth. Wherever I am in my busy day, using scrap time, and fill in time. At least I’ve got until June to catch up because I really love the podcasts. The length is good, stories are wonderful. Easy to put into action.
    I may only be a data point of one in my rather unconventional unstructured crazy life, but I thought I’d put it out there in the hopes that it could add value.

17. Judy Perreault says:

Yes, online but not social media

• Brant says:

I’ve always been keen on Forums for structured-closed-group discussion, collaboration, learning, etc.

18. Susan says:

I know enough about computers to know that they do not always do what you expect and that sometimes you have to keep persevering with them. It is not always you making a mistake but a computer using a logic that is different to the logic you expected it to use. Hence this page needed re-posting before it could be accessed. They just need time, patience and a bit of TLC to make them perform. A bit like people really!!

19. Shonna Dalusong says:

I did not vote on Bible Study Methods question because yes/no were only options. I have watched quite a few with Elisabeth Marti under her subscription.

20. Holly Ubel says:

You need one more option for your last question. There are those of us that would love to interact with others online but are not on social media. 😦 I still those that option in hopes that something like Skype or Hangouts would be available in a small group setting.