Time and Space #13: Now and Future

God brought Abram to Canaan to steward the land.  Instead, he enjoyed it.

And his grasp of stewardship was so dismal that he illegally gave away half of the land to his nephew who had anti-stewardship software running all the time.

God was miffed at Abram and scolded him for that, adding that God did not acknowledge the transfer of ownership at all and that the land still belonged to Abram and his seed.

Furthermore, God fussed at Abram to get up out of his recliner under the Oak of Mamre and to walk the whole land, checking it out, observing the assets and the liabilities.  God wanted him to act like a steward since he was called to be a steward.

The kicker was that Abram’s seed would take possession of the land almost a half a millennia later.

Jack Welch was famous for his next quarter “stretch goals.”  Most publicly held corporations have to share with the financial analysts their economic targets for the next 90 days.  Elected officials have the two year election cycle nagging them relentlessly.  The really audacious business planners have five and ten year goals.

Question:            So what do you do with a God who wants you to act on space in this time, with an eye toward the consequences 400 years from now – a quite different time?

Answer:               You either ignore Him like Abram did, while you focus on the benefits of time and space being in alignment in the present time, or you grow up and synchronize with Him, acting like a Noble Subject, not a consumer.

He will tell you what He wants you to do now.  He may or may not tell you who it is for, or when the fruit of your actions will become visible.

If we only do what makes sense in our itty bitty time frame of three generations, then we have limited our usefulness to The God of All History.

Copyright January 2018 by Arthur Burk

This entry was posted in Sanctifying Time. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Time and Space #13: Now and Future

1. What an important perspective, and a challenging one to embrace, especially in this culture. We don’t even have the patience to wait 20 years for a business to mature. We want the fruit of our labors yesterday. And then to think we may never see the fruit, or even our great-great grandchildren? Yet, it is so true. The God of All History.

2. Gernot Scherthan says:

Yes, I think, he has not told Obed, for what he is on earth and whats his place in history. All he had to do, was staying holy and cling to his Lord. If he had spoiled his family timeline with ungodless actions, God would had no perfect sacrifice on the cross. Like he saved Jesus from broken bones. All he had to be, was holy because of faith and not to beat up any caanites. All I want to do, is getting closer to Him, the rest is written by himself.
    G.S

3. mtroxy3 says:

I loved your re-wording of the Kingdom perspective using Abraham. To look beyond what we see to what we don’t see that Yah has planned. To keep going, not for our sakes nor even for our generations that follow, but for the sake of His plan and His kingdom. Bravo! Roxanna

4. Noeleen says:

Abram – the early days when he had so much and he didn’t know what to do with it. Well he must have had some narrow idea because he seems to have been successful.
    I agree with you that, if we want to be of the maximum use to God with the resources he has given us, then sometimes we need to obey him and do things that don’t make sense in the natural/immediate at all.
    Writing comments like this is one of those things for me. Effective, connected communication is really very important for me and feedback is needed for that I think. I really don’t understand what possible return on investment there is for God or anyone in this scenario.
    I have read and re-read Genesis 13 and it seems to me that it doesn’t clearly say that God wasn’t miffed at Abram, and that he didn’t fuss at him, but as far as I can see it doesn’t say he was or did either. I see God’s generosity, kindness and patience.
    Your calling Abram a consumer as opposed to a Noble Subject won’t have any affect on him because he’s not around but I wonder about your expectations when someone gets it that you are calling them a consumer. I think it might be like a shame stun gun to get them to see the reality of where or who they are – motivated by the longing for transformation or to see someone take hold of what God wants to give them. They might emerge, groggy and bloodied and not feeling or looking noble at all. But I suspect getting back up makes them a bit noble.
    I feel encouraged by what Alexander Whyte says in the second chapter of the book, ‘Lord teach us to pray’. He quotes Goethe; ‘Man never knows how anthropomorphic he is.’ Later he says ‘nor are we to take blame to ourselves on that account. For that is our very nature. That is how we have been make by our maker…’

5. Brant says:

Thank you for this! I have felt this throughout my entire life, and deeply after watching the movie “Interstellar”.

6. Judy Ellen says:

Excellent and perfectly accurate! I had a “visitation” from Matthew who reminded me of Jesus’ authority. He told me to remain in obedience even when I did not see what I wanted to see. He said this has been my life’s training, the apparently unanswered prayers. He told me, “I did not see the fullness of the promises of the Kingdom in my lifetime, yet I persevered and this has affected generations after me.” Our prayers need to be in agreement with God and the courts of heaven and our job is to co-operate in the outworking of it in our lifetime and leave the rest to Him and the coming times. He went on, “Even at times when it appears that things have failed, know that you [we] are doing your [our] part in the Master’s scheme of things to come.”

7. Elouise van der Merwe says:

I love love love this! This post was so worth the wait!
    Yes, I want to grow up and synchronize. Yes, this is hard, and Yes, it will be more beautiful than I could imagine with my itty bitty time frame and often shoe box world view.
    Yes, I want to head in the direction of growing up.