Hello #2: Building Details

I used to work in new construction, doing tract-work plumbing, in Southern California and hated it because of the incongruence.

They would put a $250 faucet on top of the counter, and $3 parts under the sink, and cheaper than cheap inside the walls where no one could see.

Congruence has always mattered to me.  I watch people on airplanes spend a whole lot of money decorating a body and soul that are wracked with toxicity.  Ugly.

I watch a women with a huge ring that says she is loved, be emotionally abused by her husband for some minor awkwardness in getting on board the plane.

Incongruities abound.

I think that this is commonly a deeper issue with Prophets than possibly other gifts.  I generally feel that I want the external to be less than the internal.

So looking at a person, if in reality you are a 65, on a scale of 1 to 100, then why don’t you present yourself as a 45 instead of an 85?

Understated not overblown.

Against that backdrop of my emotions and expectations, we have the new office building.  The gentleman who owns it bought an absolute wreck.  He showed me pictures of the original.

He is VERY forward thinking and designed the rebuild around high quality and very high accessibility.  That translates into Ethernet jacks and phone jacks and outlets all over the building.  He was actively converting the house to a business center.

He even ran conduit underground and has some junction boxes in the middle of the floor, where someone would logically put a desk.

Eventually his company grew to having 30 people working there and his foresight was rewarded.

So his remodel job was vintage Prophet style — +90 inside the walls, attic and everywhere else people won’t see it, and a modest +50 on the surface.  Good taste!

Unless you had worked in construction and had eyes to see, you would not notice the hidden excellence, but it was a huge hug for me.  I HATE cords running across the floor because there are not enough outlets.  I hate doors that have to be wiggled to close because the door frame sagged.

And one of the things I was particularly insistent on, with the realtor, was no buildings with aluminum wiring!  I have no interest in setting a place on fire because we have too many electronic gadgets plugged in.   Here it is fairly new wiring, with a huge breaker box including room for additional circuits, in the highly unlikely event we would need them.

So THAT was a big hug.  To go to a building that is going to FIT wonderfully, rather than one where we have to do work-arounds, is a delight.

I still don’t know how we are going to lay out the various offices, but I know that when I do make the decisions, it will be based on how to leverage the strengths of the place, rather than diminishing the inadequacies.

Now, Megan is, as you well know, much more about presentation than I am.  And for her, presentation means curves.

And the God Who Is Big Enough To Make Both Of Us Happy effortlessly built some curves into the building, just for her, years ago, when the building was being designed.

So both of us are looking forward to saying HELLO to a new work space that has so much more emotional appeal than our current concrete tilt up building!

South Carolina is being very welcoming to us.

And we are not even there yet.

Copyright August 2018 by Arthur Burk

This entry was posted in Hello to South Carolina. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Hello #2: Building Details

1. Nancy Bentz says:

The new space is so beautiful!! God pulled a wowsers; He is marvelous down to the smallest detail.

2. jane62 says:

Oh so very beautiful! My spirit is soaring!! Those timber stairs, those floorboards. I never could have imagined anything so lovely! Celebrating with you!!

3. George and Marion ONeil says:

Oh Arthur… As a fellow misunderstood prophet…I so relate to your comments , your.desires and frustrations re hidden poor quality and construction……the lack of adequate outlets living in an old farmhouse is a huge peeve! I hate tripping over extension cords! Your new home is definitely a gifted blessing from Abba and well deserved…gives us hope….congrats and many blessings from us in Cambridge. Marion and George

4. Jim Alseth says:

Marvelous. I add my joy to all the other responses. But… is that SNOW outside the double doors, or just the lighting??

5. Cynthia says:

That’s beautiful!!! So elegant!!!

So . . . The Southern way now is for you to have a Housewarming Party, and for us to ply you with Banana Pudding and Pecan Pie. 😃

I’m willing to bet that the motley crowd you had when we all came to SC for your Blessing service back in June would all LOVE to come for a Housewarming. Just say the word! I have a GREAT recipe for Pecan Pie . . .

6. ghaggerty says:

What a blessing from Papa!!! As one who has been involved with facilities my whole life, I’ve always had a ‘thing’ for the facility acoommodating the people rather than the people having to work to fit the facility.

I anticipate many more hugs in store for you as you unpack into your new digs.

Enjoy!!!

7. Tanya says:

He goes, is going, has gone, will go, to prepare a place for you. There he goes, being stunning again! Love this space and place!

8. Janis Leal says:

Excellence! Seriously, excellence…. Everything about this makes everything in me “sing.”

Outside AND inside, nothing deceptive, nothing “ugly” in appearance OR substance…Truth. And…

Beauty and Function with Excellence is a main melody of the Singer of Life.

One aspect of my prayer for you all: “You shall go out with joy, and be led forth in peace….”

And in your receiving it will all be “congruent” in your spirits and that place, and the true beauty and function of THAT transformation is also part of the song…

And I’m blessing that owner/remodeler, too….

9. Irene B says:

Wonderful!

10. Chris Pfohl says:

Be keen to leave behind things that may have served you well in the old place, which would seem out of place in the new. I hope you have a budget for some complimentary furniture, lamps, art, etc.

11. frieda says:

looks great !!!!!!!!!!!!!! and so wonderful for Megan too …indeed a hug from the Lord, prepared in advance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. LaVonne Lucke says:

Beautiful. I feel relaxed looking at it, can feel the flow every wheretth. Congratulations,

13. Andilee says:

Oh Arthur, it is stunning. I’m so happy for y’all.

14. Brant says:

Wow! What a change from your office building in CA, inside and out! This is going to offer much in the way of flow. I anticipate the first video or live stream. Happy for you all!
    -Brant

Yes, Brant. I am struggling to get traction on the change. I know we will have to do a lot of internal, emotional change to fit in the new ecosystem, and am trying to be proactive to prepare myself, but it is so far above and beyond anything I have every worked in before, I can’t figure out what I need to do to change to be able to fit.

Oh well. Guess I will address the issues when they ouch me.

15. Noble Sword says:

This is so awesome. A beautiful building for a well deserved new chapter at Sapphire Leadership Group. Looking forward to seeing what springs up from this elegant space.

16. Something that is built with excellence, ESPECIALLY where it will never be seen is a HUGE area of interest to me. When I find a piece of furniture that has been thoughtfully built and intentionally secured in the hidden areas, I take the time to congratulate the craftsman on a job well done. I’m often told that the way I over engineer a piece is unnecessary….not to me.
    I celebrate fore thinking and excellence in craftsmanship. I celebrate this office find with you.

Absolutely, Purple. “Unnecessary” in the eyes of a consumer, perhaps. But necessary in the eyes of a craftsman who sleeps with the joy of excellence, not the shallow pleasure of the bank account.

You rock.

17. Bunmi says:

What a beautiful space! Quite appealing to the eyes

18. Katie Trundt says:

Beautiful and very southern! I absolutely love it and I love your insight. So excited for “y’all” to move south!

19. Narola Grady says:

It looks like a beautiful place! So happy for you and all the SLG staff. Since God provided a house for my family in 2006 (complete with a wish list full of specific requests), I totally understand what that means to you. After renting for 26 years, we still love living here.

20. Tara says: