Hello #3: Burden or Delight?

When I arrived at our new office the first time, to meet the owners and the two realtors, I was aware of how unkempt it was, horticulturally.

I brushed it aside and went in to meet all the new faces.  There were three alpha males in the room overpowering the two young salesmen trying to find their place in the storm of testosterone.

When the traditional male rituals subsided, the two tried to ease their way back into the conversation.  Greyson was thinking about our transition and volunteered a number of resources that were available so we could start fast.

One of which is that the owner knows someone who would care for the lawn for $50 a month.

I smiled inside.

Not happening!

That was going to be MY personal play space.

It took me back to when my parents went to the mission field decades ago.  The plot of land the mission had was several acres and in the tropical rain forest, grass grew ferociously.

And needed to be cut with regularity.

Usually that was the job of the hired help, with their machetes and the rhythmic, long strokes.  But for a season the mission had to economize significantly, and it was up to the missionaries to mow the lawn with our 24″ push mower.

The area was divided up among the available adults, and I jumped in at 4 years old, adamant that I needed to have a plot assigned to me.

Eventually, intransigence won over logic and I was allotted a patch to mow.

Mom told me years later how intriguing it was that I would work so hard on the lawn, trying to push a mower whose handles were at about ear height.  It didn’t make sense.  It wasn’t required of me.  But I was GONNA do it.

Because I wanted to.

Not much has changed.  I still love mowing the lawn.

It has been a LOT of years since I had a lawn to mow.  But soon, I will again.  The “lawn” is the size of some people’s living room, but it will be mine, with intensity, mowed with tenderness and precision.

The shrubs will be trimmed and fertilized.

And in the back corner, there will be an assiduously developed compost pile, unlike any other in Spartanburg County!

And within a year, the earthworm population will have quintupled and the benefit to the land and the lawn will be immense.

I am really going to enjoy getting some dirt under my fingernails in Spartanburg, SC.

Can’t wait to get there.

Copyright August 2018 by Arthur Burk

This entry was posted in Hello to South Carolina. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Hello #3: Burden or Delight?

1. Beth says:

funny, when I was a kid there was a field across the street so I took a pair of scissors and on my hands and knees cut paths all through the tall grass… it was so cool to walk on it after

2. Nancy Tucker says:

Ah, i love grounding my hands in dirt and my feet in grass or sand, happy mowing, compositing, earth worming to you and enjoying your joy!

3. Theora says:

I love how you flip a necessary nuisance ( we’ll get the hired help to do it!) into a place of deep satisfaction!!! I suspect the earth there is going to surprise you out of honouring appreciation of being loved!!!! Can’t wait to hear😁

Yes, Theora, when I was a four year old, I knew nothing of the relationship between man and the land, so it is a whole new game now that I can engage at a different level.

4. Cynthia says:

I can bring you some worms. I’ll stick a jar in the back of my car, in the box with the Pecan Pie.

• jane62 says:

I wish I could send a compost starter sample to go with the worms, but it’s a bit far and the health authorities would probably have a fit!! Loving all your Hello’s…

• Cynthia says:

Heck, we have RABBITS for manure at our place – I could pack up some Rabbit manure as a compost starter! Or maybe SLG WANTS their own Rabbit . . . . we could probably throw in a hutch for free. I could see that out back . . . Megan could probably teach it to talk.

5. Alexandru Drăghici says:

Delighted to read this article. I “envy” Arthur for mowing the lawn. My absolute pleasure is to savor the fragrancy of the freshed mowed lawn… The best essence of a perfume ever for me…

6. Frieda says:

Just smiling ,seeing you enjoying the future joy 🙂

7. Daphne says:

Enjoying your Joy, Arthur, it sounds like a lot of fun! 😀

8. Janis Leal says:

Delight!
    And delightful anticipation….

9. ghaggerty says:

Smiling here….

10. Sam Roberts says:

Arthur, your joy and delight in the post is palpable! Celebrating with you.

11. Bill Kline says:

Zone 7 -a gardener’s heaven! You make me smile. Enjoy!

12. Maria says:

Arthur, I love hearing your joy at all the good surprises of this new place. And I am glad God gave you “a bit of earth” to nurture and enjoy. Ummmmm–plants, grass, compost, earthworms. I love me some land, too. My husband and I just bought our own little plot of earth in the past two months, half an acre, sweet land in a gentle neighborhood on the edge of town where the birds sing and sing and sing all day long in beautiful mature trees. I didn’t know I would love my own land so much or that God would give me such good land. The lines have fallen in pleasant places.

13. Ruth Thompson says:

I so get that. I was assigned duty with our manual push mower back in the day, and I loved how the shorn grass collected in the catcher. It smelled so rich.

14. Dirt under the nails…
    Grass stains on bare feet… or will it be sneakers?
    Sounds like that ‘lawn’ is in for some eau de compost hugs!

15. Pamela says:

Woohoo! Thanks for enjoying your joy outloud! We are celebrating and enjoying joy right along with you!

16. Brant says:

Sounds Awesome! I too love mowing. Happy for you; what a change!
    -Brant